How Does Tension Affect Guitar String Frequency Beyond Basic Equations?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between tension and frequency in guitar strings, with a focus on Mersenne's laws. The speaker is seeking an explanation for this relationship beyond just the formula, and has searched for resources without success. The equation for Mersenne's laws is also mentioned, along with the mention of calculus and simple harmonic motion as potential explanations.
IsaacsA
Hi all!
I am currently conducting an investigation into the way in which frequency varies when you change the tension on a guitar string.
I am aware of Mersenne's laws, and that frequency should vary in square root proportion to tension. I'm looking for an explanation that goes beyond simply the formulae regarding the relationship, perhaps on a more microscopic scale.
In any case, I've searched a number of resources and I haven't been able to discern any reasonable explanation beyond the equation that exists.
Does anyone know of why frequency varies in square root proportion to tension, beyond simply the equation?

Mersenne's equation no. 22:

f(1)=v/λ=[1/(2L)](T/μ)^1/2

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you already know about vibrations?

The equation is easy to derive from Newton's laws of motion (Google will find lots of references ), once you know calculus and partial differential equations, but I guess from the question that you don't know that much math.

Do you know about simple harmonic motion, and the vibration of a mass on a spring?

What causes tension on a guitar string?

The tension on a guitar string is caused by the force applied to the string when it is stretched between two points on the instrument, typically the tuning pegs and the bridge.

How does tension affect the sound produced by a guitar string?

The tension on a guitar string directly affects the pitch of the sound it produces. The higher the tension, the higher the pitch, and vice versa.

What factors can impact the tension on a guitar string?

The tension on a guitar string can be impacted by several factors, including the gauge or thickness of the string, the material it is made of, and the distance between the two points of tension.

What happens if the tension on a guitar string is too high?

If the tension on a guitar string is too high, it can cause the string to break or snap. It can also cause discomfort or pain in the player's fingers when playing the instrument.

How can tension on a guitar string be adjusted?

The tension on a guitar string can be adjusted by tightening or loosening the tuning pegs, which changes the length of the string between the tuning pegs and the bridge. This alters the tension and therefore the pitch of the string.