1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem involving Centriptal force

1. Oct 15, 2005 #1
    I am having a tough time solving this problem where a mass, connected to two strings with equal distance fixed to a stick, rotates around the stick at a given speed and i need to solve for tension in both the upper and lower string.
    Looks like this
    http://www.webassign.net/pse/p6-11.gif
    Thank You for your time

What i really need to know is how the weight vector of the mass is reflected in the tension.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2005 #2
    I guess the most subtle but improtant hint would note that there is no acceleration in the y direction... from there you can list your forces and solve the system of equations.

4. Oct 16, 2005 #3
    i know the net force on the y-axis is equal to zero and the tension must somehow balance both the weight of the object and the centriptal force of the object. My real trouble is that i think that the higher string is supporting all of the weight of the object but i keep getting the wrong answer. Does anyone know how the force of the objects weight is reflected in the tension forces.

5. Oct 16, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It seems like you want to write the answer directly, solving it in your head. Don't! Instead, label the forces, apply Newton's 2nd law, and solve for the tension in each string.

Call the tension in the strings [itex]T_1[/itex] (top) and [itex]T_2[/itex] (bottom). What are the components of the tensions in the x and y directions? You realize that the net force in the y-direction must be zero: Good! What must the net force in the x-direction equal?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?