Tension problem involving Centriptal force

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a rotating mass connected to two strings of equal distance fixed to a stick. The main focus is on determining the tension in both the upper and lower string. The key hint is that there is no acceleration in the y direction, leading to the need to list forces and solve a system of equations. The conversation also mentions that the higher string may be supporting all of the weight of the object. The suggested approach is to label the forces, apply Newton's 2nd law, and solve for the tension in each string, taking into account the components of tension in the x and y directions.
Lucky14
I am having a tough time solving this problem where a mass, connected to two strings with equal distance fixed to a stick, rotates around the stick at a given speed and i need to solve for tension in both the upper and lower string.
Looks like this
http://www.webassign.net/pse/p6-11.gif
Thank You for your time

What i really need to know is how the weight vector of the mass is reflected in the tension.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the most subtle but improtant hint would note that there is no acceleration in the y direction... from there you can list your forces and solve the system of equations.

i know the net force on the y-axis is equal to zero and the tension must somehow balance both the weight of the object and the centriptal force of the object. My real trouble is that i think that the higher string is supporting all of the weight of the object but i keep getting the wrong answer. Does anyone know how the force of the objects weight is reflected in the tension forces.

Lucky14 said:
Does anyone know how the force of the objects weight is reflected in the tension forces.
It seems like you want to write the answer directly, solving it in your head. Don't! Instead, label the forces, apply Newton's 2nd law, and solve for the tension in each string.

Call the tension in the strings [itex]T_1[/itex] (top) and [itex]T_2[/itex] (bottom). What are the components of the tensions in the x and y directions? You realize that the net force in the y-direction must be zero: Good! What must the net force in the x-direction equal?

1. What is a tension problem involving centripetal force?

A tension problem involving centripetal force is a physics problem that involves calculating the amount of tension in a string or rope that is keeping an object moving in a circular path. This tension is caused by the centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving towards the center of the circle.

2. What is the formula for calculating tension in a centripetal force problem?

The formula for calculating tension in a centripetal force problem is T = mv^2/r, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. How does the tension change in a centripetal force problem if the velocity increases?

If the velocity increases in a centripetal force problem, the tension will also increase. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity, so as the velocity increases, the centripetal force and therefore the tension also increase.

4. Can the tension in a centripetal force problem ever be zero?

No, the tension in a centripetal force problem cannot be zero. In order for an object to move in a circular path, there must be a force acting towards the center of the circle, which creates the tension in the string. If the tension were to become zero, the object would no longer move in a circular path and would instead move in a straight line.

5. How does the radius of the circular path affect the tension in a centripetal force problem?

The radius of the circular path is inversely proportional to the tension in a centripetal force problem. This means that as the radius increases, the tension decreases, and vice versa. This is because a larger radius means a larger distance for the object to travel, which requires a smaller centripetal force and therefore a smaller tension in the string.