1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem using Trig

1. Jan 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two cables are attached to a sign at point A to steady the sign as it is being lowered. Using Trigonometry, determine a) the magnitude and direction of the smallest force P for which the resultant R of the two forces applied at A is vertical, b) the corresponding magnitude of R

2. Relevant equations
    Use Law of cosines (R^2 = Q^2 + P^2 - 2QPcos(theta))
    and Law of sines P/sin(opp. angle) = Q/sin(opp. angle)

3. The attempt at a solution
    diagram is shown in attachment. I only have one magnitude and one angle and I'm supposed to get an angle alpha so that P is the min.

Attached Files:

• p1.bmp
      p1.bmp
      File size:
      213.8 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2009 #2
    I have no idea where ure stuck at but ill drop a small hint:

The horizontal component of force Q must cancel for the resultant to be vertical.

4. Jan 14, 2009 #3
    Right, thanks. it's the small things that get me. taking the horz component of Q (80sin(35) = P = 45.9) gives the magnitude of p. Then, using law of sines to get alpha, I can get the third angle and then use law of cosines to get mag of R

5. Jan 15, 2009 #4
    if you have already noticed if you went ahead with the above, alpha should be a right angle since the smallest force you need with p is a horizontal force to cancel out with the horizontal component of Q.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?