Calculating Tension in a Two-Block System

• Thread starter sweet877
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the tension (T) in a system where two blocks (M and m) are connected by a rope and pulled by two external forces (F1 and F2). The mass of the blocks and the external forces are given, and the acceleration of the system is calculated to be 3.3 m/s^2. However, when using the individual equations for each block, a different answer is obtained. The mistake was found to be considering the external forces as part of the system, instead of just looking at internal forces.
sweet877
F2 <------[ M ]---T---[ m ]----> F1
F2 = 20 N
M = 2.0 kg
m = 1.0 kg
F1 = 30 N
Find T, tension.
So F1-F2 = (M+m)a.
a=10/3 = 3.3 m/s^2
Fnet= Ma
T-F2 = Ma
T = Ma + F2 = 2.0(3.3) + 20 = 27 N
However, I don't think this is right because I got a different answer when I used the other block:
Fnet = ma
F1 - T2 = ma
T2 = F1 - ma = 30-1.0(9.8) = 20 N
Where did I go wrong? Thanks.

edit: Never mind. Figured out I used g instead of a.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First take both of them together as your system. So ne force on your system is 10N towards F1. The mass of your system is 3kg till where you are correct. Now see the diagram. Ma = ma + T. Look at the diagram to see whether this is corect. Now you just need to look at forces internal to the system and not external forces.

So, in short your mistake is you need not look for F1 abd F2 cause they are external force to the system and you have already solved the system. This will make your steps more conducive to yourself.

Otherwise use stepwise analysis.
F1 - T = ma
T - F2 = Ma

Thanks for your help!

1. How do you calculate tension?

To calculate tension, you need to know the force being applied to an object (F) and the angle at which it is being applied (θ). The formula for tension (T) is T = F / sin(θ).

2. What is the difference between F2 and F1 in tension calculation?

F2 and F1 refer to the two different forces acting on an object that create tension. F2 is the force being applied to the object, while F1 is the opposing force that is pulling the object in the opposite direction.

3. Can tension be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. Tension is a measure of the pulling force on an object, so it is always a positive value.

4. How can I determine the direction of tension?

The direction of tension is always in the opposite direction of the force being applied. For example, if a force is pulling an object to the right, the tension will be pulling the object to the left.

5. What units are used to measure tension?

Tension is typically measured in Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs). These are units of force that represent the amount of pulling or pushing on an object.