1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem

1. Sep 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block of mass m1 = 6.75 kg on a frictionless plane inclined at angle = 30.3° is connected by a cord over a massless, frictionless pulley to a second block of mass m2 = 2.07 kg hanging vertically (Fig. 5-54). (a) What is the acceleration of the hanging block (choose the positive direction up)? (b) What is the tension in the cord?

2. Relevant equations
    Fynet= T-m2g= m2a aka T=m2g+m2a
    Fxnet=m1g(sin)-T=m1a

when these two are put together it is, a=(m1g sin - m2g)/(m1+m2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I used the equations above and first found acceleration to be -1.914m/s squared and then I used the acceleration and plugged it back into the problem to find T and I got it to be 16.32 N, these answers are wrong and I don't know what I did wrong. Can someone help me please?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2007 #2
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  4. Sep 22, 2007 #3
    From the free body diagram... when you extend out the normal force and make a triangle with the force of gravity, the sin is to find the x-component of the triangle

5. Sep 22, 2007 #4
    the normal force counter acts only the gravity ?

-----------------------------------------------------
    Correct me if I am wrong.
    http://ghazi.bousselmi.googlepages.com/présentation2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?