1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem

1. Oct 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A block with eight of 455 N is being pulled at constant velocity by a force directed at 30 degrees above the horizontal. The friction force on the crate is 1163 N. What is the magnitude of the pulling force?

2. Relevant equations
    Ft= kx
    Fnet= ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to use the component method to find the force in the x direction and then so that I could find the pulling force but it doesn't work!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2008 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, specifically, did you try?

4. Oct 14, 2008 #3
    I tried using 445 N cos 30 degree to find the vector on the x direction, that's how I was taught!!

5. Oct 14, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

445 N is the weight of the block, which acts vertically downwards, so I'm not sure why you're resolving that into the x direction.

You have several pieces of information: the block has a weight of 445N; it is travelling at constant velocity; the pulling force is 30 degrees above the horizontal; the friction acting on the box is 1163N.

So, first things first, I would draw a free body diagram including all the forces. Can you do this?

6. Oct 14, 2008 #5
    sure, I do

and I did draw it

so to the left is the friction force

and 30 degrees above the horizontal is the acting force

the gravity is 9.81 and from there I can find the mass of the object

and I have to find the pulling force

thank you very much for you help

I will try my best and see what I get

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?