Solving PSE6 6.P.011: Find Tension in Strings

• Thread starter ramin86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about finding the tension in two strings attached to a 3.85 kg object rotating at 7.30 m/s in a horizontal circle. The question asks for the tension in the upper string and the lower string, and various force equations have been tried without success. One person offers to help by suggesting the use of specific force equations and the sketch to find the necessary values.
ramin86
Everyone I know is having problems with this question:

3. [PSE6 6.P.011.] A 3.85 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings as in Figure P6.11. The object rotates in a horizontal circle at constant speed 7.30 m/s.

Figure P6.11

(a) Find the tension in the upper string.
N
(b) Find the tension in the lower string.
N

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p6-11.gif for the figure

I've tried using various force equations, only to be wrong. Does anybody know how to do this problem??

Physics news on Phys.org
Anybody know how to do this problem? Tried a lot of things, but I'm down to my last chance to answer the question correctly

it seems you are desparate, just show me your "force equation and I help you out right know

Well I tried some forms of the centripetal acceleration formula for the upper tension, and I also tried 3.85*9.88(cos of the angle) + 1/2 the horizontal force, but they haven't worked out.

Only because you try to do something, I'm going to help.
Use these forces ==>
T"sin(alpha)-T'sin(alpha)-mg=0 and T"cos(alpha)+T'cos(alpha)=mv^2/r
where T" is the upper tension and T' is the lower tension. Also, if you want to find
cos(alpha) and sin(alpha) use your sketch

1. What is PSE6 6.P.011?

PSE6 6.P.011 refers to a specific problem or question in physics related to finding tension in strings.

2. How do you solve PSE6 6.P.011?

To solve PSE6 6.P.011, you will need to use principles and equations from physics, specifically related to tension and strings. You will also need to carefully analyze the problem and identify all relevant variables.

3. What is tension in strings?

Tension in strings refers to the force that is exerted on a string when it is pulled or stretched. It is measured in units of Newtons (N).

4. What are some common methods for finding tension in strings?

One common method for finding tension in strings is by using the equation T=mg, where T is tension, m is mass, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. Another method is by using the equation T=μF, where μ is the coefficient of friction and F is the force applied to the string.

5. Can you provide an example of solving PSE6 6.P.011?

Sure, let's say the problem states that a 2kg object is hanging from a string that is attached to the ceiling. The string makes an angle of 30 degrees with the ceiling. Find the tension in the string. To solve this, we would use the equation T=mg * cosθ, where T is tension, m is mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle between the string and the ceiling. Plugging in the values, we get T=(2kg)(9.8m/s^2) * cos(30 degrees) = 16.9N.