1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem

1. Oct 18, 2004 #1
    Everyone I know is having problems with this question:

3. [PSE6 6.P.011.] A 3.85 kg object is attached to a vertical rod by two strings as in Figure P6.11. The object rotates in a horizontal circle at constant speed 7.30 m/s.

Figure P6.11

(a) Find the tension in the upper string.
    (b) Find the tension in the lower string.

http://www.webassign.net/pse/p6-11.gif for the figure

I've tried using various force equations, only to be wrong. Does anybody know how to do this problem??
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2004 #2
    Anybody know how to do this problem? Tried a lot of things, but I'm down to my last chance to answer the question correctly
  4. Oct 18, 2004 #3
    it seems you are desparate, just show me your "force equation and I help you out right know
  5. Oct 18, 2004 #4
    Well I tried some forms of the centripetal acceleration formula for the upper tension, and I also tried 3.85*9.88(cos of the angle) + 1/2 the horizontal force, but they haven't worked out.
  6. Oct 18, 2004 #5
    Only because you try to do something, I'm going to help.
    Use these forces ==>
    T"sin(alpha)-T'sin(alpha)-mg=0 and T"cos(alpha)+T'cos(alpha)=mv^2/r
    where T" is the upper tension and T' is the lower tension. Also, if you want to find
    cos(alpha) and sin(alpha) use your sketch
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?