Solve Tension Problem: Two Blocks Connected by String, Force of 165N

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses two blocks connected by a string and being pulled upward by a force of 165 N. The question is to find the tension in the string. The conversation also mentions correctly drawing the body diagrams and finding the answer to question (1).
Miike012
Two blocks are connected by a string and are pulled vertically upward by a force of 165 N applied to the upper block...

1. find the tension T in the string connecting the blocks.

First off.. are my body diagrams correct?

I'm sure all I've drawn are correct other than the two tension forces...?

Attachments

• PHY.png
    PHY.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 423
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Two blocks are connected by a string and are pulled vertically upward by a force of 165 N applied to the upper block...

1. find the tension T in the string connecting the blocks.

First off.. are my body diagrams correct?

I'm sure all I've drawn are correct other than the two tension forces...?

Good start, I probably would have drawn the Tension on the 1.00 kg above the body - like you did with the force F on the 2.00 kg body.

I probably would have drawn all forces starting at their point of action. Centre of mass for Weight, Contact point for the others.

Thank you.
Can some one give me a clue on how to find the answer to question (1)?

1. What is the formula for calculating tension in a string?

The formula for calculating tension in a string is T = F/m, where T is tension, F is the applied force, and m is the mass of the object.

2. How do you determine the tension in a string in a system with multiple blocks?

To determine the tension in a string in a system with multiple blocks, first calculate the acceleration of the system using Newton's second law. Then, use the formula T = m(a + g) for each block, where T is the tension, m is the mass of the block, a is the acceleration, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the significance of a force of 165N in this tension problem?

The force of 165N is the applied force acting on one of the blocks in the system. This force causes tension in the string, which is necessary to keep the two blocks connected and maintain the equilibrium of the system.

4. How does the angle of the string affect tension in this problem?

The angle of the string does not affect the tension in this problem. As long as the string remains taut and the system is in equilibrium, the tension will remain the same regardless of the angle.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving tension problems?

Solving tension problems is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and architecture. It is used to determine the strength and stability of structures, calculate the weight-bearing capacity of bridges and buildings, and design pulley systems for lifting heavy objects.