1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Problem

1. Mar 14, 2005 #1
    A circle of rope of total mass 3.14kg and a radius of 2 meters is spinning at an anglular velocity of 1 rad/sec about an axis through the center of the circle. What is the tension in the rope?

Thanks for the help, i'm having trouble getting this one. :eek:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2005 #2

Homework Helper

What have you done so far? Do you have any ideas?

EDIT: apologies. This is trickier than I first thought. I misunderstood the question.

Draw a picture first.

Work on a small element of the rope. It covers a small angle [itex]d\theta[/itex]. It is undergoing centripetal acceleration. It has tension on either side of it. The two tensions add up to a centripetal force. Be careful with the vectors. Equating the sum of the two tensions, to the centripetal force you should be able to solve for T. Be careful to use the mass of the rope covering [itex]d\theta[/tex] Not the mass of the entire rope.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?