1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problem!

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    I really could use help on this one! I got this one wrong on the last test, it was driving me crazy. Spent almost half the time trying to figure it out.

Two wires support a beam of length L=16. A box hangs from a wire which is connected a distance of 12 m from the left edge of the beam. The tension in the left support wire is 500 N and the tension in the right support wire is 600 N. What is the mass of the box? DATA: acceleration of gravity=9.80 m/s2

My next test is today, thank you incredibly much if you can help me figure out what I was doing wrong here.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Tell us what you did. (Are you given the mass of the beam? Is it uniform? Are the support wires vertical?)
  4. Aug 9, 2005 #3
    Not given the mass of the beam, yes the support wires are vertical.

The figure can be seen here http://www.msu.edu/~kossakze/physics.gif

The way I approached it was to consider the middle of the beam at m = 0. The left wire is at 8 m and 8 m*500 N + 4 m*x N (weight of box) = 8 m*600 N

nevermind.....wow.....got the answer, guess I didn't do that on the test.

Thanks anyway
  5. Aug 9, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good. As long as the wires are vertical and beam is uniform, no problem. Just set up your equations for equilibrium.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?