What Are the Tension Forces in Suspended Structures?

• Thread starter cary1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about drawing free body diagrams for different scenarios and finding the tension and forces involved. The first question involves a suspended crate and a uniform strut, the second question involves a horizontal beam and a wall, and the third question involves a uniform rod held horizontally by two ropes and a hanging monkey. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the questions and requesting help for the third question.
cary1234

Homework Statement

Please help me to draw free body diagrams of the following.

1.Find the tension T in each cable and the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the strut by the pivot in each of the arrangements in fig. 11.23 in each case let w be the weight of the suspended crate full of priceless art objects. The strut is uniform and also has weight w.

this is fig. 11.23

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/2811/physicsforum.th.png

2. The horizontal beam in fig. 11.24 weight 50N. and its center of gravity is at its center.
find

a.The tension in the cable
b.The horizontal and vertical components of the force exerted on the beam at the wall.

this is fig. 11.24

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/6100/physicsquestion2.th.png

3. A 3.00 m long, 240-N uniform rod at the zoo is held in a horizontal position by two ropes at its end(fig. 11.26) The left ropes make an angle of 150 deg. with the rod and the right rope makes an angle θ with the horizontal. A 90-N howler monkey hangs motionless 0.50 m from the right end of the rod as he carefully studies you. Calculate the tensions in the two ropes and the angle θ

this is fig. 11.26

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/6250/question3f.th.png

The Attempt at a Solution

in question number 1. here's the free body diagram.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6702/question1attempt.th.png

in question # 2 here's the free body diagram.

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/5323/question2attemt.th.png

in question number 3. i don't have any idea...

please try to draw the right free body diagram..
after i know the right free body diagram i will start to work in computation or equations..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
i try to solve question number2 and my answer is.

-T1 = 75
T2=60

is it correct?

how sad.. :( no ones helping me..

1. What are strut tension problems?

Strut tension problems refer to issues with the tension or tightness of the struts in a structure. Struts are structural components that resist compression forces and help support the weight of a building or other type of structure. When there are problems with the tension of these struts, it can affect the stability and safety of the structure.

2. What are the common causes of strut tension problems?

Strut tension problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including poor design, improper installation, material defects, or excessive loads on the structure. Changes in temperature, moisture levels, and other environmental conditions can also affect the tension of struts over time.

3. How can strut tension problems be detected?

Strut tension problems can be detected through visual inspections, structural analysis, and strain gauge measurements. Signs of strut tension problems may include cracks or deformations in the structure, uneven settling, or a change in the levelness of the structure. Any of these signs should be further investigated by a qualified professional.

4. What are the potential risks of not addressing strut tension problems?

If left unaddressed, strut tension problems can lead to structural failure, which can result in property damage, injuries, or even loss of life. It is important to address any potential strut tension problems as early as possible to prevent further damage and ensure the safety of the structure and its occupants.

5. How can strut tension problems be fixed?

The solution for strut tension problems will depend on the specific cause and severity of the issue. It may involve adjusting the tension of the struts, reinforcing or replacing damaged struts, or implementing additional support structures. It is important to consult with a structural engineer or other qualified professional to determine the most appropriate solution for your specific situation.