1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension problems

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    Can someone please tell me how my teacher got Acceleration of 1.44m/s^2?
    I dont see how its even possible without another force acting on the object
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    Is it possible that the pulley has specified mass and radius in the problem statement?

Chet

4. Feb 21, 2014 #3
    No, she is just introducing this so there is no friction.. I was scratching my head while everyone was saying they got the same answer following instructions, but i vaguely disagreed with it so thats why im asking here.

5. Feb 21, 2014 #4
    This seems to be a poorly designed problem. If you use F=ma and assume the pulley to be frictionless and massless you get a=(9.8)(5)/(15)=3.27 m/s^2

It seems that there is some assumed mass in the pulley though because they give you the distance it falls and the time it takes. Using those in the following kinematic equation yields an acceleration of 1.39 m/s^2 which is close:

x=x0+v0t+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]at2

6. Feb 21, 2014 #5
    What were the instructions? I got the same results as oddjobmj.

Chet

7. Feb 21, 2014 #6
    Just to find the acceleration at 1m... idk why this problem is annoying me so much but realistically on a test, i should write.. "this problem is not frictionless"

8. Feb 22, 2014 #7
    One more thing. Are you sure the mass of A wasn't 30 Kg?

Chet

9. Feb 23, 2014 #8
    Yes 100% if the mass was 30kg would the acceleration be equal to what the problem states?

10. Feb 23, 2014 #9
    Yes, pretty close.

chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted