Tension in Two Connected Blocks: 4KG & 5KG

In summary, there are two blocks, a 4 kg one and a 5 kg one, connected by a cord. The 5 kg block is on the right and is connected to another cord pulling 30 N to the right. The question is asking for the tension in the cord connecting the two blocks. The person is confused and asking for help with finding the tension. They have found the acceleration of the system to be 3.33 m/s, but are unsure how to find the tension. They have drawn a free body diagram for the 5 kg block, but are unsure of the direction of the tension force. They are also using the equation 9a = 30 to find the acceleration. They are asking for help
SS2006
theres two blocks

a 4 KG one and a 5 KG one right next to each other, connected by a c ord, the 5 KG is on the right and its conected to another cord pulling 30 N to the right.

so

Box1----Box2----30 N
get it
so theyre asking for the tension in the cord connecting them
it slipped my mind how to do this :(
i got acceleration of the system to be 3.3 m/s tho

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you draw the FBDs?

yes i did
but I am confused really
i know its a simple questoin
test is 2morrow

Ok then let me see your equations for each body

well for acceleration

i did

9a = 30
and got 3.33 m/s, which was right
now they ask for tension of cord connecting them, i just hit a blank spot here for some reason.
lets say i make a fbd for the 5 kg box, so it got 30 N going one way, and the other way? is it 4 x10? no right. and there's no friction btw
i can't think, relaly, just help me out, I am not trying to get u guyst od o my homework or antyhign honeslty, this is just a review Q for a test tmorrow!

Explain how you got a. Also, consider the following:

1. What force is acting on the left block?
2. What can you say about the relationship between the acceleration of block 1 and the acceleration of block 2
3. What equations of motion are you using?

Basicly you considered your system the whole 2 boxes, that's ok, but then the tension force will be an internal force instead of an external force, analyze for each body in order to find the tension.

k got the asnwer
sorry for the stupidness
i had some brain crmap or something :D

Further thought to the above question by SS2006, can I know how come everytime we draw a FBD, the rope has force in both opposite direction

box 1 -- box 2---
for the -- between the box1 and 2, the direction of force is box1--<-->--box2--30N
*the arrow shown is for the tension of the rope only
hope you get what I mean:)

Last edited:

1. What is tension in two connected blocks?

Tension in two connected blocks refers to the force that is exerted by one block on the other through a connecting medium, such as a rope or a string. It is a reaction force that is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied on the blocks.

2. How is tension calculated in a system of two connected blocks?

To calculate the tension in a system of two connected blocks, we need to consider the weight of the blocks, the mass of the blocks, and the acceleration of the system. Using Newton's second law of motion (F=ma), we can calculate the tension by taking into account all the forces acting on the system.

3. What factors affect the tension in two connected blocks?

The tension in two connected blocks is affected by the weight of the blocks, the mass of the blocks, the acceleration of the system, and any external forces acting on the blocks. It is also affected by the type of connecting medium used, as different materials have different levels of elasticity and can stretch or compress under tension.

4. How does the weight and mass of the blocks affect the tension in a system?

The weight and mass of the blocks play a crucial role in determining the tension in a system. The heavier the blocks, the greater the force of gravity acting on them, and therefore, the greater the tension in the connecting medium. The mass of the blocks also affects the acceleration of the system, which in turn affects the tension.

5. Can the tension in two connected blocks be greater than the weight of the blocks?

Yes, the tension in a system of two connected blocks can be greater than the weight of the blocks. This can happen if there are external forces acting on the blocks, or if the acceleration of the system is high. In such cases, the tension in the connecting medium must be strong enough to counteract these forces and keep the blocks connected.