• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Tension question

• Thread starter tristan_fc
  • Start date
I believe that I was late the day my instructor explained this type of problem in class, and my textbook is worthless, so I thought I would give this a shot. It's just a tension problem, but I don't know for sure how to do it.

A 9.00 kg handing weight is connected by a string over a pulley to a 5.00 kg block that is sliding on a flat table. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.187, find the tension in the string.

I believe that tension is the sum of all forces on the rope correct? I recall my teacher saying that we could turn a similar problem into a problem on the X-axis by making gravity a force pulling on the block in the x-direction. Anyway, I thought that I would just do 9*9.8+-(5*0.187), but that didn't seem right to me because it would seem that a frictional force would increase the tension and not decrease it? I appreciate any help.

-Tristan

eh... I posted my question in the wrong section and they moved it here. I'm actually in Engineering Physics I in college, but I guess it doesn't matter where the question is if I get help.

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yes, frictional force would increase tension, not decrease it.
However, if there were NO friction force, there would be NO tension on the rope, not the "9*9.9" you have. If there were no friction force the block would move freely. The tension on the rope IS the friction force.