1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension question

1. Sep 29, 2003 #1
    I believe that I was late the day my instructor explained this type of problem in class, and my textbook is worthless, so I thought I would give this a shot. It's just a tension problem, but I don't know for sure how to do it.

A 9.00 kg handing weight is connected by a string over a pulley to a 5.00 kg block that is sliding on a flat table. If the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.187, find the tension in the string.

I believe that tension is the sum of all forces on the rope correct? I recall my teacher saying that we could turn a similar problem into a problem on the X-axis by making gravity a force pulling on the block in the x-direction. Anyway, I thought that I would just do 9*9.8+-(5*0.187), but that didn't seem right to me because it would seem that a frictional force would increase the tension and not decrease it? I appreciate any help.

-Tristan

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2003 #2
    eh... I posted my question in the wrong section and they moved it here. I'm actually in Engineering Physics I in college, but I guess it doesn't matter where the question is if I get help.

4. Sep 30, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, frictional force would increase tension, not decrease it.
    However, if there were NO friction force, there would be NO tension on the rope, not the "9*9.9" you have. If there were no friction force the block would move freely. The tension on the rope IS the friction force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?