1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension Strongman problem from Physics

1. Oct 13, 2003 #1
    Tension "Strongman" problem from Physics!!

This is the question:
    When the strongman suspends the 10 lbs telephone book with the rope held vertically, the tension in each strand of the rope is 5 lbs. If the strongman could suspend the book from the strands pulled horizontally, the tension in each strand would be how much?

A picture of it is at this website: http://www.physics.uwo.ca/ugrad/p02.../p021_lec12.pdf with a picture of a guy holding a textbook.

Any answers? And reasons for the answers?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I wasn't able access the website given. Since the telephone book weighs 10 pounds and we are told that the "tension in each strand" is 5 pounds, are we to assume there are 2 strands?

It isn't possible to support the book with strands that are literally horizontal- there would be no vertical component of force.

Assuming that the two ropes make angle θ with the horizontal and have tension T, then the vertical component of force for each strand is T sin(θ)- the two together 2 T sin(θ) and that must be 10 pounds: 2 T sin(θ)= 10 so T= 5/sin(&theta).

4. Oct 14, 2003 #3
    Thanks!

I hope you didn't spend too much time doing that! The answer did turn out to be an uncalculatable amount- it is impossible to make it perfectly straight. My teacher mentioned how power lines are bent down too...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?