How to Calculate Torque and Tension in a Diving Board System?

• Thread starter fp252
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks to calculate the torque about the front support on the right of a diving board exerted by a 70 kg person 3.0 m from that support. To solve this, we only need to consider the torque of the diver about the front support, which is (70g)3 J clockwise. The formula used is torque = force x distance, and the force is designated upwards. The correct way to write the answer is torque = (70g)3 J clockwise.
fp252
Hello, I've been unable to figure this question about tension and torque out.

1. The question is: calculate the torque about the front support on the right of a diving board exerted by a 70 kg person 3.0 m from that support.

This is a crude diagram of a person on a diving board, where
D = a diver, and || means a diving board support:

____________________________________________D
||<----1.0m---->||<-----------3.0m-------------->
||- - - - - - - - - ||
||- - - - - - - - - ||

2. Relevant equations:
τ = Fd
F = ma
Fup = Fdown / Fleft = Fright

3. I get these equations:

Fup = Fdown
F1 + F2 = Mg + mg (where mg = downward force of diver, Mg = downward force of diving board at center of board)
F1 + F2 = M(9.8) + 686

τcw = τccw
Mg(1.5) + mg(3) = F2(1) (assuming F2 is the upward force for the middle support?)
Mg(1.5) + 70(9.8)(3) = F2(1)
Mg(1.5) + 2058 = F2

I assume the pivot point to be on the far left of the board. The main problem problem with both of these are that I end up with equations that have two variables. Also, I don't have M, which is the mass of the diving board - how would I figure this out?

What's wrong in my process to get the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi fp252! Welcome to PF! :smile:
fp252 said:
The question is: calculate the torque about the front support on the right of a diving board exerted by a 70 kg person 3.0 m from that support.

I don't think they're asking you for to look at the whole problem …

I think they literally only want the torque of the diver at the front support … you can ignore everything else. :wink:

Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Here's what I have now:
τcw = τccw
mg(4) = F2(1)
686(4) = F2(1)
2744 N = F2

That would seem like an answer, but the force is designated upwards, so it can't be right.

Every other diving board problem I've seen has a setup where I either cannot base it off of it to get the answer of the question above. So far I haven't seen any questions that have a downward force on the front support of the diving board either.

Hi fp252! :smile:
fp252 said:
Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Here's what I have now:
τcw = τccw
mg(4) = F2(1)
686(4) = F2(1)
2744 N = F2

Yes, that's the right formula and the right answer, but for the wrong question …

you've calculated the normal force at the front support, which is 2774 N CCW, or upwards.

But the question is only asking you for the torque of the diver about the front support, which is (70g)3 J clockwise. :smile:

That would seem like an answer, but the force is designated upwards, so it can't be right.

Every other diving board problem I've seen has a setup where I either cannot base it off of it to get the answer of the question above. So far I haven't seen any questions that have a downward force on the front support of the diving board either.

I'm not following you … your own answer gives a positive CCW value (I assume that stands for "counter-clockwise"). :confused:

The correct way of writing the answer is:
Torque = force times perpendicular distance, clockwise = (70g)3 J clockwise. :smile:

Sorry, I'm only half awake while trying to do this, so excuse me if I don't get something obvious.

If Torque = force times perpendicular distance, clockwise, then why is it 70g(3), when it should be in Newtons, not grams?

fp252 said:
Sorry, I'm only half awake while trying to do this, so excuse me if I don't get something obvious.

Get some sleep! :zzz:
If Torque = force times perpendicular distance, clockwise, then why is it 70g(3), when it should be in Newtons, not grams?

My g was gravity!

And torque is force x distance, so it's in joules. :wink:

1. What is a "tension/torque problem"?

A tension/torque problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the force, known as tension, acting on an object that is being pulled or stretched by multiple forces. It also involves calculating the rotational force, known as torque, acting on an object that is being rotated or twisted.

2. How do you solve a tension/torque problem?

To solve a tension/torque problem, you need to identify all the forces acting on the object, including tension and torque. You then apply Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. For torque, you use the equation τ = r * F * sinθ, where τ is torque, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, F is the force, and θ is the angle between the force and the lever arm.

3. What are some real-world applications of tension/torque problems?

Tension/torque problems are commonly used in engineering and construction, particularly in designing bridges, cranes, and other structures. They are also used in everyday objects such as door handles, wrenches, and pulleys. Additionally, tension/torque problems are important in understanding the mechanics of human movement and sports performance.

4. What factors affect tension and torque in a given situation?

The factors that affect tension and torque include the magnitude and direction of the forces involved, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force and the lever arm. The mass and shape of the object can also impact the tension and torque.

5. How can tension/torque problems be used to improve efficiency?

By understanding tension and torque, engineers and designers can optimize structures and machines to be more efficient. For example, by designing a bridge with the correct amount of tension in the cables, it can better withstand the weight of traffic and reduce the need for maintenance. Similarly, by using the correct torque on a wrench, it can tighten bolts more efficiently and prevent them from loosening over time.