1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension/torque problem

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    Hello, I've been unable to figure this question about tension and torque out.

1. The question is: calculate the torque about the front support on the right of a diving board exerted by a 70 kg person 3.0 m from that support.

This is a crude diagram of a person on a diving board, where
    D = a diver, and || means a diving board support:

||- - - - - - - - - ||
    ||- - - - - - - - - ||

2. Relevant equations:
    τ = Fd
    F = ma
    Fup = Fdown / Fleft = Fright

3. I get these equations:

Fup = Fdown
    F1 + F2 = Mg + mg (where mg = downward force of diver, Mg = downward force of diving board at center of board)
    F1 + F2 = M(9.8) + 686

τcw = τccw
    Mg(1.5) + mg(3) = F2(1) (assuming F2 is the upward force for the middle support?)
    Mg(1.5) + 70(9.8)(3) = F2(1)
    Mg(1.5) + 2058 = F2

I assume the pivot point to be on the far left of the board. The main problem problem with both of these are that I end up with equations that have two variables. Also, I don't have M, which is the mass of the diving board - how would I figure this out?

What's wrong in my process to get the answer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi fp252! Welcome to PF! :smile:
    I don't think they're asking you for to look at the whole problem …

I think they literally only want the torque of the diver at the front support … you can ignore everything else. :wink:
  4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    Thank you for replying.

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. Here's what I have now:
    τcw = τccw
    mg(4) = F2(1)
    686(4) = F2(1)
    2744 N = F2

That would seem like an answer, but the force is designated upwards, so it can't be right.

Every other diving board problem I've seen has a setup where I either cannot base it off of it to get the answer of the question above. So far I haven't seen any questions that have a downward force on the front support of the diving board either.
  5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi fp252! :smile:
    Yes, that's the right formula and the right answer, but for the wrong question …

you've calculated the normal force at the front support, which is 2774 N CCW, or upwards.

But the question is only asking you for the torque of the diver about the front support, which is (70g)3 J clockwise. :smile:

I'm not following you … your own answer gives a positive CCW value (I assume that stands for "counter-clockwise"). :confused:

The correct way of writing the answer is:
    Torque = force times perpendicular distance, clockwise = (70g)3 J clockwise. :smile:
  6. Nov 13, 2008 #5
    Sorry, I'm only half awake while trying to do this, so excuse me if I don't get something obvious.

If Torque = force times perpendicular distance, clockwise, then why is it 70g(3), when it should be in newtons, not grams?
  7. Nov 13, 2008 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Get some sleep! :zzz:
    My g was gravity!

And torque is force x distance, so it's in joules. :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?