1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tension with connected blocks

1. Sep 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    three connected blocks are pulled to the right on a horizontal frictionless table by a force of magnitude T3 = 13.8 N. If m1 = 15.1 kg, m2 = 24.8 kg, and m3 = 30.5 kg, calculate (a) the magnitude of the system's acceleration, (b) the tension T1, and (c) the tension T2.

(the figure has 3 blocks in this order: 1----2-----3--- being pulled by a hand on this side

2. Relevant equations

f=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

well, i got part a. that was just the sum of the masses, using t3 as the force in the f=ma equation. now, for the next part, i would think that the tension on block 2 would be the sum of block 1 and 2 (because they go in decreasing order) times the acceleration. likewise, i would think that block 1's tension would just be... the mass of block one times the acceleration. evidently that is wrong, so i'm just wondering if someone can give me a hand. thanks!

EDIT:
    ..this was actually correct
    just, the way i was entering it was wrong
    ignore this post, sorry! :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted