1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensions - Horizontal Surface

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Hi! If anyone could pass on any hints as to how to go about figuring out this type of problem....thanks!! I just need guidance as to how to determine F... attached is a diagram.

The horizontal surface on which the object slides is frictionless. If M=4.0kg, the tension in string 1 is 12N. Determine F in N.

a) 10 b) 20 c) 25 d) 40 e) none of the above

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

All the blocks are interconnecrted so have the same acceleration. The force F accelerates all three blocks.
    The tension, T1, accelerates the last two blocks with the same acceleration.

Use newton's 2nd law.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    While we're on the topic of tension (which I never really learned last year in ap physics b), can anyone show me where to start on this problem? I'm really regretting taking ap physics c, but I got a 5 on the exam for b so I can't be that bad, right?
    [​IMG]

I've determined the net force is 45 N and that the acceleration must be 5 m/s2, but that's about it :/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?