Determining Tension in a Frictionless System with Given Mass and Tension

In summary, The conversation is about determining the force, F, in a system of interconnected blocks with a frictionless surface. The tension in string 1 is given as 12N and the options for F are provided. The conversation also mentions that all blocks have the same acceleration and that Newton's 2nd law can be used. The topic of tension is also brought up and the person asks for help on how to approach the problem. The net force and acceleration have been determined, but the conversation concludes with a request for further guidance.
physixnot4me
Hi! If anyone could pass on any hints as to how to go about figuring out this type of problem...thanks! I just need guidance as to how to determine F... attached is a diagram.

The horizontal surface on which the object slides is frictionless. If M=4.0kg, the tension in string 1 is 12N. Determine F in N.

a) 10 b) 20 c) 25 d) 40 e) none of the above

Attachments

• physicsq1.GIF
    physicsq1.GIF
    1.2 KB · Views: 549
Physics news on Phys.org
All the blocks are interconnecrted so have the same acceleration. The force F accelerates all three blocks.
The tension, T1, accelerates the last two blocks with the same acceleration.

Use Newton's 2nd law.

While we're on the topic of tension (which I never really learned last year in ap physics b), can anyone show me where to start on this problem? I'm really regretting taking ap physics c, but I got a 5 on the exam for b so I can't be that bad, right?
2hd5mdz.jpg

I've determined the net force is 45 N and that the acceleration must be 5 m/s2, but that's about it :/

1. What is "Tensions - Horizontal Surface"?

"Tensions - Horizontal Surface" refers to the force applied on a surface that is parallel to the ground or horizontal. This force can be caused by various factors such as weight, friction, or external forces.

2. How is tension calculated on a horizontal surface?

Tension on a horizontal surface can be calculated by using the formula T = μW, where T is the tension, μ is the coefficient of friction, and W is the weight of the object.

3. What is the difference between tension and compression on a horizontal surface?

Tension is the force that pulls on a surface, while compression is the force that pushes on a surface. On a horizontal surface, tension is typically caused by weight or external forces, while compression is typically caused by support or weight distribution.

4. How does tension affect the stability of objects on a horizontal surface?

Tension can affect the stability of objects on a horizontal surface by either increasing or decreasing the friction between the object and the surface. If the tension is too high, it can cause the object to slide or tip over. If the tension is too low, it can cause the object to shift or move unexpectedly.

5. How can tension on a horizontal surface be controlled or adjusted?

Tension on a horizontal surface can be controlled or adjusted by changing the weight distribution of the object, using frictional materials or surfaces, or applying external forces to counteract the tension. Additionally, adjusting the coefficient of friction can also affect the tension on a horizontal surface.