Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tensions - Horizontal Surface

1. Oct 10, 2005 #1
    Hi! If anyone could pass on any hints as to how to go about figuring out this type of problem....thanks!! I just need guidance as to how to determine F... attached is a diagram.

The horizontal surface on which the object slides is frictionless. If M=4.0kg, the tension in string 1 is 12N. Determine F in N.

a) 10 b) 20 c) 25 d) 40 e) none of the above

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

All the blocks are interconnecrted so have the same acceleration. The force F accelerates all three blocks.
    The tension, T1, accelerates the last two blocks with the same acceleration.

Use newton's 2nd law.

4. Oct 15, 2009 #3
    While we're on the topic of tension (which I never really learned last year in ap physics b), can anyone show me where to start on this problem? I'm really regretting taking ap physics c, but I got a 5 on the exam for b so I can't be that bad, right?
    2hd5mdz.jpg

I've determined the net force is 45 N and that the acceleration must be 5 m/s2, but that's about it :/

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook