1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensions in cable

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7491/staticsk.jpg [Broken]

Those weird squiqqles are supposed to represent springs. Not exactly an artist :D

2. Relevant equations

F = kx

3. The attempt at a solution

After drawing a fbd and breaking the tension into x and y components I got:

ΣFy T(sinθ) =5

ΣFx T(cosθ) = T(cosθ)

T = 5x since the force acting on the spring is T and k is given as 5.

I tried taking the given 4ft into consideration, I tried seeing if there was some substitution I could make to solve any of those equations. Been struggling for like an hour now...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    If the tension in the spring is kx, then the length of the spring is x+4 ft, because there's no tension if the spring is 4 ft long.

Try to find another expression for [itex] sin(\theta) [/itex] or [itex] cos(\theta) [/itex] just from the goemetry.
  4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    I should've been more clear. I used x to denote the amount the spring is stretched.. not the total length of the spring.

And I have been trying for a while now. The only thing I can manage to do is sin/cos to get tan but I haven't done that in anyway that helps me out.
  5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
  6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    you get a right-angled triangle with corners middle of the block, one end of the block, attachment to the load
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook