Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Tensions in cable

1. Feb 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7491/staticsk.jpg [Broken]

Those weird squiqqles are supposed to represent springs. Not exactly an artist :D

2. Relevant equations

F = kx

3. The attempt at a solution

After drawing a fbd and breaking the tension into x and y components I got:

ΣFy T(sinθ) =5

ΣFx T(cosθ) = T(cosθ)

T = 5x since the force acting on the spring is T and k is given as 5.

I tried taking the given 4ft into consideration, I tried seeing if there was some substitution I could make to solve any of those equations. Been struggling for like an hour now...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2010 #2
    If the tension in the spring is kx, then the length of the spring is x+4 ft, because there's no tension if the spring is 4 ft long.

Try to find another expression for [itex] sin(\theta) [/itex] or [itex] cos(\theta) [/itex] just from the goemetry.

4. Feb 26, 2010 #3
    I should've been more clear. I used x to denote the amount the spring is stretched.. not the total length of the spring.

And I have been trying for a while now. The only thing I can manage to do is sin/cos to get tan but I haven't done that in anyway that helps me out.

5. Feb 28, 2010 #4
    Anybody?

6. Feb 28, 2010 #5
    you get a right-angled triangle with corners middle of the block, one end of the block, attachment to the load

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook