Tensions of string of different wavelength etc

In summary, the tension of a string is directly proportional to the square of its wavelength, meaning that as the wavelength increases, so does the tension. Changing the wavelength of a string will result in a change in tension, as there is an inverse relationship between the two. The tension of a string can be adjusted by changing its wavelength, as they have a direct relationship. The material of a string can also affect its tension at different wavelengths due to differences in elasticity and density. The tension of a string at different wavelengths can be measured using tools such as a tension meter or force gauge.
Clairepie

Homework Statement

An A string (s1) from one musical instrument (i1), is replaced by an A string (s2) from a different instrument (i2) (both in the same family) what would be the tension ratio of string 2 after it has been replaced onto instrument 1?

string 1
Length of string= 0.37 m
Mass per unit length, μ=
1.21 x 10-3 kg m-1
Tension, FT1 = 128 N
Speed of wave, v= 325 m s-1
Wave length, λ= 0.739m (3 sig fig)
Frequency, f = 440 Hz

String 2

Length of string= 0.32 m
Mass per unit length, μ=
6.1 x 10-4 kg m-1
Tension, FT1= 48 N
Speed of wave, v= 280 m s-1
Wave length, λ =0.638 m (3 sig fig)
Frequency, f = 440 Hz

Homework Equations

FT=V2μ

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the ratios of the strings is 128/48= is 8/3 , but I don't knw what to do with it, or if I have it right.

Thanks phyple (physics people?!) :-p

Claire

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is 8/3. The tension ratio of the two strings after s2 has been replaced onto i1 is 8/3. This is because the frequency and wavelength of both strings are the same, so the only difference between them is their mass per unit length and their tensions. Since the frequency and wavelength are constant, the ratio of the tensions will equal the ratio of the masses per unit length. In this case, the ratio of the tensions (FT1/FT2) is 8/3 and the ratio of the masses per unit length (μ1/μ2) is also 8/3. Therefore, the tension ratio of the two strings after s2 has been replaced onto i1 is 8/3.

1. What is the relationship between string tension and wavelength?

The tension of a string is directly proportional to the square of its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength of a string increases, the tension on the string also increases.

2. How does changing the wavelength of a string affect its tension?

Changing the wavelength of a string will result in a change in the tension of the string. This is due to the inverse relationship between wavelength and tension - as the wavelength increases, the tension decreases.

3. Can the tension of a string be adjusted by changing its wavelength?

Yes, the tension of a string can be adjusted by changing its wavelength. This is because of the direct relationship between tension and wavelength - as the wavelength changes, the tension changes accordingly.

4. How does the material of a string affect its tension at different wavelengths?

The material of a string can affect its tension at different wavelengths. Different materials have different properties that can affect the tension of a string, such as elasticity and density.

5. How is the tension of a string of different wavelength measured?

The tension of a string can be measured using a variety of tools, such as a tension meter or a force gauge. These devices measure the amount of force applied to the string and can provide an accurate measurement of its tension at different wavelengths.