1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor Algebra

1. May 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the tensor
    θ[itex]_{ik}[/itex] = [itex] g_{ik} - U_{i}U_{k}[/itex]
    projects any vector, [itex]V^{k}[/itex], into a 3-surface orthogonal to the unit time-like
    vector [itex] U_{i} [/itex] (By a projection, the vector [itex]θ_{ik}V_{k}[/itex], is implied).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The projection should be,
    [itex] θ_{ik} V^k = g_{ik} V^k - U_i U_k V^k
    \Rightarrow θ_{ik} V^k U_i = g_{ik} V^k U_i - U_i U_k V^k U_i [/itex]. This should equal zero, for the projection to be orthogonal. But, i'm not being able to proceed.
    By timelike, the problem means [itex] U_i U^i \ge 0 [/itex], right? But, i dont see how that helps me.

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2014 #2

strangerep

Science Advisor

The phrase "unit time-like vector ##U_i##" is important. What do you think "unit" means here?

Yes, but (again), what does "unit" mean here?

Whenever you're contracting indices in such contexts, it should be between an upstairs and a downstairs pair of indices. So your last part should be
    $$\theta_{ik} V^k U^i ~=~ g_{ik} V^k U^i - U_i U_k V^k U^i $$Now, can you simplify these subexpressions:
    $$g_{ik} U^i ~~~\text{and}~~~ U_i U^i ~~~?$$Then consider further my remarks about the meaning of "unit"...

4. May 16, 2014 #3
    Ohho, sorry! I missed the 'unit' bit. [itex] U_i U_k [/itex] can be written as [itex] g_{ik} U_i U^i[/itex]. Now, [itex] U_i [/itex] is a unit timelike vector. By definition, then, [itex] U_i U^i = [/itex] 1. Then, the terms cancel and the result follows, right! Thanks for pointing that out! :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted