1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor and series questions

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i have a few homework question and want to be sure if I have solved them right.
    Q1) Write ##\vec{\triangledown}\cdot\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{A}## and ##\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{\triangledown}\phi## in tensor index notation in ##R^3##

Q2) the spherical coordinates
    ##x=r sin\theta cos\phi##
    ##y=r sin\theta sin\phi##
    ##z=r cos\theta##
    what is the relataion of ##dx, dy, dz## in terms of ## dr , d\theta , d\phi , ##

Q3) Determine whether the following series converges
    ##\sum \left(\frac{2}{5^{k+1} }+\frac{(2k)!}{3^k}\right)##
    this problem has no summation startpoint. I thought such question must have a start point and go to infinity. like k=0 or k=2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Q1) ##\vec{\triangledown}\cdot\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{A} = \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{i}\partial_{j}A_{k}##
    ##\vec{\triangledown}\times\vec{\triangledown}\phi = \epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{j}\partial_{k}\phi##

Q2) ##dx=sin\theta cos\phi dr + r cos\theta cos\phi d\theta - r sin\theta sin\phi dphi##
    ##dy=sin\theta sin\phi dr + r cos\theta sin\phi d\phi + r cos\theta cos\phi d\phi##
    ## dz=cos\theta dr - r sin\theta d\theta##

Q3)
    ##\sum \frac{2}{5^{k+1} }=\frac{2}{5}+\frac{2}{25}+\frac{2}{125}+....##
    from geometric series
    ##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}S_n=\frac{a}{1-r}##

##a=\frac{2}{5}## ##r=\frac{1}{5}##

since ##\mid r\mid<1## the series converges
    ##\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty}S_n=\frac{\frac{2}{5}}{1-\frac{1}{5}}=\frac{1}{2}##

##\sum \frac{(2k)!}{3^k}##

using D'Alembert ratio test
    ##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{u_{k+1}}{u_{k}}##

##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{\frac{[2(k+1)]!}{3^{k+1}}}{\frac{(2k)!}{3^{k}}}##

##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2k+2)!3^{k}}{(2k)!3^{k+1}}##

##\rho=\lim_{k \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2k+2)(2k+1)}{3}##

this gives infinity and therefore this series diverges

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Q1) The first expression is correct. The second is missing a basis vector and has a mismatched free index on the right hand side.

Q2) Double check the last term of dy.

Q3) ok

4. Aug 28, 2016 #3
    Q1) the second expression. I think ##\phi## is a scalar and therefore it should not have an index. Right?

Q2) yes i made a mistak. It should be
    ##dy=sin\theta sin\phi dr + r cos\theta sin\phi d\theta + r sin\theta cos\phi d\phi##

Q3) so the final answer is
    Converge + Diverge = Diverge.
    And is it normal that the Summation has no startpoint? I thought there is a trick.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted