Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor and Tensor Products

1. Mar 24, 2014 #1
    Dear All,

I need some explanations of properties of tensor and the tensor product on different states;
    σ1ijσij2=_____________
    Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2014 #2

ChrisVer

Gold Member

A tensor is a mathematical/geometrical object which has certain transformation properties under change of coordinates.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensor

You can have a tensor of rank n covariant and rank m contravariant
    and a tensor of rank l covariant and rank k contravariant
    Then their product will be a rank (n+l) covariant and (m+k) contravariant.
    [itex] T^{i_{1}i_{2}...i_{m}}_{j_{1}j_{2}...j_{n}} T^{r_{1}r_{2}...r_{k}}_{w_{1}w_{2}...w_{l}}= R^{i_{1}i_{2}...i_{m}r_{1}r_{2}...r_{k}}_{j_{1}j_{2}...j_{n}w_{1}w_{2}...w_{l}}[/itex]

If you are talking about the tensor product for example between two matrices, the idea is almost the same...
    In that case you define:
    for [itex] A \in K^{p \times q} [/itex] and [itex] B \in K^{r \times s} [/itex]
    [itex] A \times B \in K^{pr \times qs}[/itex]
    So a matrix let's say 3x2 multiplied by tensor product with another 4x5 will give as a result a matrix 12x10.

in element notation, the product is defined as:
    [itex] ( A \times B)_{(ik)(jl)}= A_{ij}B_{kl}[/itex]
    or in matrix form you write for EACH element the matrix B and multiply it in the first line with A[11], A[12],...,A[1q]
    the second line A[21],...A[2q] etc... (see attachment)

So if what you ask for are the pauli matrices [itex]\sigma^{1,2}[/itex] then the result will be a 4x4 matrix, with upper left 2x2 block the [itex]\sigma_{11}^{1} \sigma^{2}[/itex], the upper right 2x2 block [itex]\sigma_{12}^{1} \sigma^{2}[/itex], the lower left 2x2 block [itex]\sigma_{21}^{1} \sigma^{2}[/itex], and the lower right 2x2 block [itex]\sigma_{22}^{1} \sigma^{2}[/itex].
    In this case though [itex]\sigma^{1}[/itex] has zero diagonal elements, so the upper left and lower right 2x2 blocks are zero, the other off diagonal blocks are the [itex]\sigma^{2}[/itex] matrices. If i did it correctly...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook