1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor-Based Physics

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    What texts are there that cover classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and general relativity utilizing tensors and geometry almost exclusively? I've had a tough time finding such a book...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

Landau

Science Advisor

Is there any text on general relativity that does not heavily use tensors and geometry?

4. Oct 10, 2009 #3
    I have Carroll and Wald, but I'm interested on learning Mechanics utilizing the same language, if there has been such a formulation.

5. Oct 10, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

"Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V. I. Arnold

6. Oct 10, 2009 #5

Landau

Science Advisor

Also, Foundations of Mechanics by Marsden, which is available for free here. This books uses differential geometry very heavily.

Marsden also wrote a book on mechanics with Raitu, Introduction to Mechanics and Symmetry.

7. Oct 13, 2009 #6

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

For electromagnetics, I'd recommned "The Formal Structure of Electromagnetics" by Post. Also, for mechanics, Marsden and Hughes "Mathematical Foundations of Elasticity", any book on Rational Mechanics (Truesdell, etc)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook