Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor Calculation

1. Mar 24, 2010 #1
    Hi
    I have the following tensor and i need to reduce to a scalor quantity:
    3 by 3 matrix
    4150470.48 , 317.64, -353.42
    317.64, 2047101.07,-1407556.61
    -353.42, -1407566.61, 2284136.55

Please its urgent and any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Regards
    Faizan

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, a matrix is NOT a tensor- just as a sequence of numbers is not a vector. A matrix can represent a tensor but you have to have some tensor space structure and you haven't told us HOW that matrix represents a tensor (i.e. what basis you are using).

The simplest way derive a single number from a matrix is the contraction- in terms of a matrix representation, it is just the "trace": add the numbers on the main diagonal. But surely there is more to this than just getting some number from the matrix?

4. Mar 25, 2010 #3
    hey thanks for ur reply!
    I got these values from solidworks but for my wheel design i need a single value for the moment of inertia. The values i gave you represent Ixx Ixy Ixz and then Iyx Iyy Iyz and Izx Izy Izz. And it says these were taken from the outer coordinate system!. So its not just a matrix it is a tensor. Could you help me out with how to proceed with this problem !

Regards
    Faizan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook