Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor calculus in GR

1. Oct 28, 2014 #1
    In an attempt to solve the mystery of dark energy, I came across problems concerned with the General Relativity. In it, I observed that many of the problems were related with the tensor calculus.
    I wanna know that what importance does tensor calculus hold in GR? Are there any other fields of mathematical that too play an important role in the subject?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2014 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your intentions are bold, for sure. You cannot conceive General Relativity in the absence of tensor calculus. Usually tensor calculus is seen as a part of differential geometry, so any mathematical prerequisites of diffgeo are mandatory: multivariable real calculus, linear algebra and a little point set topology + solving ODEs (to which the non-linear PDEs of GR can be usually reduced).

4. Oct 28, 2014 #3

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

General relativity is expressed in tensor calculus. You can't have GR without it.

I guess the analogy would be "what importance does English have to Shakespeare's plays?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook