Tensor Calculus: Modern Books with Physics Examples

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for a good book on tensor calculus. The person asking for recommendations prefers a relatively modern book with examples from physics and chapters on related subjects. Some suggestions given by others include "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds" by Bishop and Goldberg, "The Geometry of Physics", "Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists" by Marian Fecko, "Geometry of Physics" by Frankel, and "A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics" by Szekeres. Fecko's book is praised for its emphasis on hands-on exercises and concrete examples. Overall, "Tensor Analysis on Manifolds" by Bishop and Goldberg is considered a good choice despite being written in the late 60's.
Amok
Hello, could someone recommend a good book on tensor calculus? I'd like it to be relatively modern (I have an old book) and maybe contain some examples drawn from physics. Chapters on related subjects such as differential forms and calculus of variations would be a plus.

Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's kind of old (Written in the late 60's), but I have used Tensor Analysis on Manifolds by Bishop and Goldberg as a reference for a while now with good results. It can be a little concise, but for the price I'm more than satisfied!

I have only read the first few chapters in it, but The Geometry of Physics is an excellent book, I use it as an occasional supplement to Wald's General Relativity. It has a lot of worked examples, illustrations and exercises. Covers most of the standard tensor calculus stuff, but with an emphasis (obviously) on physics. To be honest, though, I found the notation and presentation kind of hard to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I, too, like Bishop and Goldberg (despite its vintage, it has a relatively modern style) and Frankel. Another possibility is Fecko.
George Jones said:
As n!kofeyn has stated, contents of differential geometry references vary widely. Another book worth looking at is Differential Geometry and Lie Groups for Physicists by Marian Fecko,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521845076/?tag=pfamazon01-20.

This book is not as rigorous as the books by Lee and Tu, but it more rigorous and comprehensive than the book by Schutz. Fecko treats linear connections and associated curvature, and connections and curvature for bundles. Consequently, Fecko can be used for a more in-depth treatment of the math underlying both GR and gauge firld theories than traditionally is presented in physics courses.

Fecko has an unusual format. From its Preface,
A specific feature of this book is its strong emphasis on developing the general theory through a large number of simple exercises (more than a thousand of them), in which the reader analyzes "in a hands-on fashion" various details of a "theory" as well as plenty of concrete examples (the proof of the pudding is in the eating).

The book is reviewed at the Canadian Association of Physicists website,

http://www.cap.ca/BRMS/Reviews/Rev857_554.pdf.

From the review
There are no problems at the end of each chapter, but that's because by the time you reached the end of the chapter, you feel like you've done your homework already, proving or solving every little numbered exercise, of which there can be between one and half a dozen per page. Fortunately, each chapter ends with a summary and a list of relevant equations, with references back to the text. ...

A somewhat idiosyncratic flavour of this text is reflected in the numbering: there are no numbered equations, it's the exercises that are numbered, and referred to later.

Personal observations based on my limited experience with my copy of the book:

1) often very clear, but sometimes a bit unclear;
2) some examples of mathematical imprecision/looseness, but these examples are not more densely distributed than in, say, Nakahara;
3) the simple examples are often effective.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bishop & Goldberg is certainly "modern" enough.

If you want something with a newer publish date, you could try

Frankel, Geometry of Physics
Szekeres, A Course in Modern Mathematical Physics

1. What is Tensor Calculus and how is it used in physics?

Tensor Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation and analysis of tensors, which are mathematical objects that describe linear relationships between vectors and other tensors. In physics, tensors are used to describe physical quantities and their relationships in a way that is independent of the coordinate system being used. This makes tensor calculus a powerful tool for solving problems in fields such as relativity, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

2. What are some real-life examples of tensors and their applications?

Some examples of tensors in real life include stress tensors in materials, strain rate tensors in fluid dynamics, and the curvature tensor in general relativity. These tensors are used to describe physical properties and phenomena, such as the behavior of materials under stress, the flow of fluids, and the curvature of spacetime.

3. How does Tensor Calculus differ from other branches of mathematics?

Tensor Calculus differs from other branches of mathematics in that it deals specifically with tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers that represent physical quantities. Unlike other branches of mathematics that focus on specific types of numbers or operations, tensor calculus is a more general and abstract approach to mathematical analysis.

4. Can Tensor Calculus be applied to other fields besides physics?

Yes, Tensor Calculus has applications in various fields such as engineering, computer science, and economics. In engineering, tensors are used to describe the properties of materials and structures. In computer science, tensors are used in machine learning algorithms. In economics, tensors are used to model and analyze complex systems.

5. Is Tensor Calculus difficult to learn?

Tensor Calculus can be challenging to learn, as it requires a strong understanding of linear algebra and multivariable calculus. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can learn the fundamentals of tensor calculus. It is important to have a solid foundation in mathematics before diving into this subject.