Tensor coordinate system help

Homework Statement

A tensor and vector have components Tαβγ, and vα respectively in a coordinate system xμ. There is another coordinate system x'μ. Show that Tαβγvβ = Tαβγvβ

Homework Equations

umm not sure...

αvβ = ∂vβ/∂xα - Γγαβvγ

The Attempt at a Solution

Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xj/∂xβ*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xβ/∂xa*va)

Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xa/∂xβ*va)

and the two are not equal which they should be. I really don't know where I've went wrong...

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
How do you relate Tijk with Tijk and va with va?

How do you relate Tijk with Tijk and va with va?
A previous part asked to express Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ and I put my answer as ∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijj or by using the metric tensor

however does that also apply to vectors? if not, I don't know how vα relates to vα...

edit: wait is vα related to vα by vα = ∂xβ/∂xα*v'β?

Last edited:
Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
You are confusing the concepts of how a vector transforms under coordinate transformations to how a contravariant tensor relates to a covariant one. A contravariant index can be turned into a covariant one by contraction with the metric. Covariant and contravariant indices transform differently under coordinate transformations.

A vector is a tensor of rank one and its indices therefore follow precisely the same rules as any tensor indices - what distinguishes a vector is that it only has one.

You are confusing the concepts of how a vector transforms under coordinate transformations to how a contravariant tensor relates to a covariant one. A contravariant index can be turned into a covariant one by contraction with the metric. Covariant and contravariant indices transform differently under coordinate transformations.

A vector is a tensor of rank one and its indices therefore follow precisely the same rules as any tensor indices - what distinguishes a vector is that it only has one.
Okay so if I take it one step at a time: expressing Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ without taking into account the vector, I use the metric tensor. gαμ(Tμβγ) would then equal gγμ(Tαβμ) = Tαβγ. Is that right?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
In order to raise a covariant index, you need to contract it with one of the contravariant indices in gij. In the same way, in order to lower a contravariant index, you need to contract it with one of the indices in gij. Remember that you cannot contract covariant indices with each other but must always contract a covariant index with a contravariant one and vice versa.