Tensor from Potential Function

In summary, the text does not make clear how to calculate a tensor from a function of this type (any type).
KleZMeR

Homework Statement

I am looking at Goldstein, Classical Mechanics. I am on page 254, and trying to reference page 190 for my confusion.

I don't understand how they got from equation 6.49 to 6.50, potential energy function to tensor matrix. I really want to know how to calculate a tensor from a function of this type (any type), but somehow the Goldstein text is not clear to me.

Homework Equations

[itex]V = \frac{k}{2} (\eta_{1}^2+2\eta_{2}^2 +\eta_{3}^2-2\eta_{1}\eta_{2}-2\eta_{2}\eta_{3})[/itex]

\begin{array}{ccc} k & -k & 0 \\ -k & 2k & -k \\ 0 & -k & k \end{array}

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is given. I think this is done by means of equation 5.14, but again, I am not too clear on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\mathcal V=\frac 1 2 \vec \eta^T V \vec\eta=\frac 1 2 (\eta_1 \ \ \ \eta_2 \ \ \ \eta_3) \left(\begin{array}{ccc} k \ \ \ \ -k \ \ \ \ 0 \\ -k \ \ \ \ 2k \ \ \ \ -k \\ 0 \ \ \ \ -k \ \ \ \ k \end{array} \right)\ \left( \begin{array}{c} \eta_1 \\ \eta_2 \\ \eta_3 \end{array} \right) [/itex]

Last edited:
Likes KleZMeR
Thanks Shyan, but how do I decompose the potential function to arrive at this? Or, rather, how do I represent my function in Einstein's summation notation? I believe from what you are showing that my potential function itself can be written as a matrix and be decomposed by two multiplications using [itex] \eta^T , \eta
[/itex]?

The potential function is a scalar so you can't write it as a matrix. And the thing I wrote, that's the simplest way of getting a scalar from a vector and a tensor. So people consider this and define the potential tensor which may be useful in some ways.
In component notation and using Einstein summation convention, its written as:
[itex]
\mathcal V=\frac 1 2 \eta_i V^i_j\eta^j
[/itex]
But the potential function itself, is just [itex] \mathcal V [/itex] in component notation because its a scalar and has only one component!

Likes KleZMeR
Thank you! That did help a LOT. Somehow I keep resorting back to the Goldstein book because it is the same notation we use in lecture and tests, but it does lack some wording in my opinion. I guess the explanation you gave would be better found in a math-methods book.

1. What is a Tensor from Potential Function?

A Tensor from Potential Function is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to describe the relationship between a potential function and its corresponding vector field. It is a symmetric second-order tensor that represents the local change in the potential function with respect to changes in each coordinate direction.

2. How is a Tensor from Potential Function calculated?

A Tensor from Potential Function can be calculated by taking the second derivatives of the potential function with respect to each coordinate direction and arranging them into a symmetric matrix. This matrix represents the tensor and can be used to calculate the corresponding vector field.

3. What is the significance of a Tensor from Potential Function?

A Tensor from Potential Function is significant because it allows for the analysis and prediction of physical phenomena, such as fluid flow or stress and strain in a solid material. It also has applications in fields such as computer graphics and image processing.

4. What is the difference between a Tensor from Potential Function and a Tensor from Scalar Function?

A Tensor from Potential Function is derived from a potential function, which is a scalar field that represents a physical quantity, while a Tensor from Scalar Function is derived from a scalar function, which is a mathematical function that takes in one or more scalar variables. The former represents a relationship between a potential function and its corresponding vector field, while the latter represents a relationship between a scalar function and its corresponding tensor field.

5. Can a Tensor from Potential Function be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, a Tensor from Potential Function can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetics, and continuum mechanics. It allows for the analysis and prediction of physical phenomena and can be used in mathematical models to simulate and understand real-world systems.