1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor help

1. Nov 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A tensor and vector have components Tαβγ, and vα respectively in a coordinate system xμ. There is another coordinate system x'μ. Show that Tαβγvβ = Tαβγvβ

2. Relevant equations
    umm not sure...

αvβ = ∂vβ/∂xα - Γγαβvγ

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xj/∂xβ*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xβ/∂xa*va)

Tαβγvβ = (∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijk)(∂xa/∂xβ*va)

and the two are not equal which they should be. I really don't know where I've went wrong...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2014 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you relate Tijk with Tijk and va with va?

4. Nov 3, 2014 #3
    A previous part asked to express Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ and I put my answer as ∂xα/∂xi*∂xβ/∂xj*∂xγ/∂xk*Tijj or by using the metric tensor

however does that also apply to vectors? if not, I don't know how vα relates to vα...

edit: wait is vα related to vα by vα = ∂xβ/∂xα*v'β?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  5. Nov 3, 2014 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are confusing the concepts of how a vector transforms under coordinate transformations to how a contravariant tensor relates to a covariant one. A contravariant index can be turned into a covariant one by contraction with the metric. Covariant and contravariant indices transform differently under coordinate transformations.

A vector is a tensor of rank one and its indices therefore follow precisely the same rules as any tensor indices - what distinguishes a vector is that it only has one.

6. Nov 3, 2014 #5
    Okay so if I take it one step at a time: expressing Tαβγ in terms of Tαβγ without taking into account the vector, I use the metric tensor. gαμ(Tμβγ) would then equal gγμ(Tαβμ) = Tαβγ. Is that right?

7. Nov 3, 2014 #6

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In order to raise a covariant index, you need to contract it with one of the contravariant indices in gij. In the same way, in order to lower a contravariant index, you need to contract it with one of the indices in gij. Remember that you cannot contract covariant indices with each other but must always contract a covariant index with a contravariant one and vice versa.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted