Index Notation for Rank-2 Tensor with Summation

In summary, the conversation discusses the transformation of a rank-2 tensor from vector notation to index notation. The change of symbols for the gradient and coefficients is agreed upon, but there is confusion about using the same index for both the gradient and coefficient in the y direction. It is clarified that in index notation, the indices represent the different directions, and the y index specifically refers to the y axis. The last coefficient in the index notation should be different from y, but it is noted that the tensor is still a rank-2 tensor and not a 3D tensor. The conversation ends with a clarification and understanding of the notation.
Niles

Homework Statement

I have the following rank-2 tensor
[tex]
T = \nabla \cdot \sum_{i}{c_ic_ic_i}
[/tex]
I would like to write this using index notation. According to my book it becomes
[tex]
T_{ab} = \partial_y \sum_{i}{c_{ia}c_{ib}c_{iy}}
[/tex]
Question: The change [itex]\nabla \rightarrow \partial_y[/itex] and [itex]c_i \rightarrow c_{ia}[/itex] I agree with. However, it is not clear to me why my book uses the same index [itex]y[/itex] for [itex]\partial_y[/itex] as it does for [itex]c_{iy}[/itex]. Why are we allowed to do that?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The indices, which in 3 dimensions would be "1", "2", and "3", typically correspond components in the direction of the "x", y", and "z" axes. Apparently your book is allowing "i", "a", and "b" to mean any of the directions but the "y" refers specifically to the direction of the y axis.

But is it true that

[tex]
\nabla \cdot \sum_{i}{c_ic_ic_i} \leftrightarrow \partial_y \sum_{i}{c_{ia}c_{ib}c_{iy}}
[/tex]

in general? IMO the last [itex]c_{iy}[/itex] should be a [itex]c_{iq}[/itex], i.e. some index different from y.

Note that it is a rank-2 tensor, not a 3D tensor as I originally wrote

I get it now... thanks

1. What is tensor index notation?

Tensor index notation is a mathematical notation used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays or objects that describe physical quantities. It uses indices or subscripts to identify and organize the components of a tensor.

2. How is tensor index notation different from other notations?

Tensor index notation is different from other notations, such as vector notation or matrix notation, because it can be used to represent higher-dimensional objects and allows for more efficient and concise expressions of mathematical equations involving tensors.

3. What do the indices represent in tensor index notation?

The indices in tensor index notation represent the different dimensions or directions of a tensor. For example, in a 3-dimensional tensor, the indices may represent the x, y, and z directions.

4. How are tensor operations represented in tensor index notation?

Tensor operations, such as addition, multiplication, and contraction, are represented in tensor index notation using the Einstein summation convention, where repeated indices indicate summation over those indices.

5. Is tensor index notation used in any specific fields of science?

Tensor index notation is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and mathematics, where tensors are used to describe physical quantities or relationships between variables. It is particularly useful in fields that deal with multidimensional data and systems, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.