1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor index notation

1. Jan 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have the following rank-2 tensor
    [tex]
    T = \nabla \cdot \sum_{i}{c_ic_ic_i}
    [/tex]
    I would like to write this using index notation. According to my book it becomes
    [tex]
    T_{ab} = \partial_y \sum_{i}{c_{ia}c_{ib}c_{iy}}
    [/tex]
    Question: The change [itex]\nabla \rightarrow \partial_y[/itex] and [itex]c_i \rightarrow c_{ia}[/itex] I agree with. However, it is not clear to me why my book uses the same index [itex]y[/itex] for [itex]\partial_y[/itex] as it does for [itex]c_{iy}[/itex]. Why are we allowed to do that?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The indices, which in 3 dimensions would be "1", "2", and "3", typically correspond components in the direction of the "x", y", and "z" axes. Apparently your book is allowing "i", "a", and "b" to mean any of the directions but the "y" refers specifically to the direction of the y axis.

4. Jan 1, 2014 #3
    But is it true that

[tex]
    \nabla \cdot \sum_{i}{c_ic_ic_i} \leftrightarrow \partial_y \sum_{i}{c_{ia}c_{ib}c_{iy}}
    [/tex]

in general? IMO the last [itex]c_{iy}[/itex] should be a [itex]c_{iq}[/itex], i.e. some index different from y.

5. Jan 1, 2014 #4
    Note that it is a rank-2 tensor, not a 3D tensor as I originally wrote

6. Jan 1, 2014 #5
    I get it now... thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted