Solving Tensor Integration on a Unit Sphere: Help Needed

In summary, the indices don't add up, and the 'D' tensor as it is in the equation is supposed to be a function of the 'D' tensor in the denominator. According to the Physics Forums rules, undergraduate-level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of the website, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work.
tim85ruhruniv
Could someone help me out ??

I tried this integration over the surface of a sphere of unit radii,

[tex]\[
P_{mn}e_{m}\otimes e_{n}=\frac{1}{D_{pq}e_{p}\otimes e_{q}}\int e_{m}\otimes e_{n}dS_{r=1}\][/tex]

and I always get [tex]\[
4\pi e_{m}\otimes e_{n}\][/tex] and the 'D' tensor as it is..

I am expecting additionally a '3' in the denominator, am I wrong ? If i do the integration over unit volume then I get the 3 in the denominator. Sorry for sounding stupid but is there a necessity to consider the unit tensor, i just assume it as a constant under integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Homework assignments and stuff like that should be posted in the appropriate section.

I don't get your indices either; it seems they don't add up on left and right hand sides. [tex] e_m \otimes e_n [/tex] definitely needs not be constant. Consider for example usual spherical coordinates.

tim85ruhruniv said:
[tex]\[
P_{mn}e_{m}\otimes e_{n}=\frac{1}{D_{pq}e_{p}\otimes e_{q}}\int e_{m}\otimes e_{n}dS_{r=1}\][/tex]

Okay, I'll bite; along with clamtrox's note about indices, I have questions. What does

[tex]\frac{1}{D_{pq}e_{p}\otimes e_{q}}[/tex]

mean? How does one divide by a tensor (not the component of a tensor), which is an element of a vector space?
clamtrox said:
Homework assignments and stuff like that should be posted in the appropriate section.

Yes and no. From the Physics Forums rules:
Since graduate level assignments are meant to be more thought provoking (and hence more worthy of discussion), graduate level questions will be allowed in the relevant part of the main section of PF, provided that the graduate student attempts the problem and shows his work.

hey !

Thanks guys for looking at my work.

I can't see how the indices don't add up... maybe i am missing something... but

Each component of
[tex]\[
\mathbf{P}\] [/tex]will be a function of the [tex]\mathbf{\mathrm{D}^{-1}}[/tex] tensor.

about division by the tensor..

[tex]x=\mathbf{D}y[/tex] for some 'x' and some 'y'

so I hope I can rewrite this as [tex]y=\mathbf{\mathrm{D}^{-1}}x[/tex]
and probably find the Inverse at a later stage. Which for the time being I believe doesent depend on the co-ordinates of integration.

Like clamtrox said, I use spherical co-ordinates to integrate, should I worry about [tex]\[
e_{m}\otimes e_{n}\][/tex] should I transform the tensor basis ?

1. What is a tensor and why is it important for integration on a unit sphere?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents the relationship between multiple vectors in a coordinate-independent manner. It is important for integration on a unit sphere because it allows us to generalize integration to higher dimensions and handle complex geometric shapes like spheres.

2. What is the unit sphere and why is it challenging to integrate over it?

The unit sphere is a mathematical term for a sphere with a radius of 1. It is challenging to integrate over it because the traditional methods of integration, such as the Riemann integral, do not apply in higher dimensions and do not take into account the curvature of the sphere.

3. What are the current methods for solving tensor integration on a unit sphere?

Some of the current methods for solving tensor integration on a unit sphere include using spherical harmonics, Monte Carlo methods, and numerical integration techniques like Gauss-Legendre quadrature.

4. How can solving tensor integration on a unit sphere be applied in real-world situations?

Solving tensor integration on a unit sphere has applications in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. It can be used to solve problems related to spherical distributions, such as calculating the gravitational or electric field of a spherical object, or simulating the behavior of particles on a curved surface.

5. Are there any resources available for learning more about solving tensor integration on a unit sphere?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning more about solving tensor integration on a unit sphere. These include textbooks, online tutorials and courses, research papers, and software packages specifically designed for this purpose.