Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor Manipulation

1. Sep 22, 2010 #1
    Given the expression

\textbf{A} = \textbf{Q} : \textbf{B}

where A and B are second order tensors of rank 2 and Q is a second order tensor of rank 4.

How can I manipulate this expression to calculate for Q given A and B? In other words, isolate Q on one side of the equation. Thank you very much!
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2010 #2
    The notation you are using

is not one of the many standard textbooks. Perhaps you can explain it or provide a reference to some easily available text.
  4. Sep 22, 2010 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Sep 22, 2010 #4
    The double dot product between a fourth order tensor and a second order tensor is a second order tensor (now I'm referring to order as the number of subscripts... rank/order are used interchangeably in the literature). I can work it out using dyadics, but I'm not sure how to move around terms in the equation to isolate Q. There are many products to choose from and I'm not very comfortable with the rules, especially using an inverted second order tensor and perhaps (single or double???) contracting it on the left.
  6. Sep 22, 2010 #5
    Alright, make it simpler. Let A,B be vectors and Q a second order tensor. So what you have then is an equation of the form

a = Qb

where a and b are vectors. Can you calculate nxn coefficients form n equations? You can't. But you can try to find a general solution for Q, with arbitrary coefficients. Is that what you mean? If so, try to do it for matrices and vectors - you will see what kind of algebra is needed.

The idea is: you have an inhomogeneous linear equation (for Q). Therefore a general solution is a sum of a particular solution of this equation and a general solution of the homegeneous one.
  7. Sep 22, 2010 #6
    arkajad, thank you very much. You made me see that my problem was not well posed.

The physical motivation of this problem stemmed from my curiosity on determining a unique material property (stiffness or compliance) from a specified stress and strain state at a material point. In the most general, anisotropic case, there is no unique answer to this problem.
  8. Sep 22, 2010 #7
    You are welcome!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook