1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor notation-Determinants

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Tensor notation-Determinants

I'm trying to learn the basics of Tensor calculus using a free online book (Introduction to Tensor Calculus and Continuum Mechanics), and I got stuck on this question (Part 2 in book, after non-math introduction).

link to part 2, questions (mine #19) at end:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B denote 3x3 matrices with elements [tex]A_{ij}[/tex] and [tex]B_{ij}[/tex]
    respectively. Show that if C = AB is a matrix product, then det(C) = det(A)*det(B)
    where det = determinant.

Hint: use the result from example 1.1-9

2. Relevant equations
    det(A) = [tex]e_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The matrix multiplication of A*B =C, in indical notation, is
    [tex]C_{ij}=A_{im}B_{mj}[/tex] (I think) where the first subscript in A,B and C is the row number and the second subscript the column of the matrix.

Then, plugging into 'relevant equation' above, we get
    det(C) = [tex]e_{ijk}C_{1i}C_{2j}C_{3k}[/tex]
    det(C) = [tex]e_{ijk}(A_{1m}B_{mi})(A_{2n}B_{nj})(A_{3x}B_{xk})[/tex]

Then, I compare this to just multiplying det(A)*det(B)
    det(A) * det(B) = [tex](e_{ijk}A_{1i}A_{2j}A_{3k})(e_{rst}B_{1r}B_{2s}B_{3t})[/tex]

However, from here, I can't seem to make the connection between the two:cry:
    I would try to expand it, but I don't think this is the way to do it, since it would get rid of the advantage of indical notation. Help would be appreciated! Thxs!

PS: on a side note, whenever you preview a post, the template is pasted again to the end of the post, which is annoying. Maybe someone can fix this...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2
    I believe you need to prove this in two cases. If B is not invertible, then det(B)=0. There is a non-trivial solution. Thus AB is not invertible.

Else, suppose A and B are invertible/nonsingular, then there are elementary matrices, A=Ej, E_j-1,.... E_1

Now, det(AB)= det(E_j)*det(E_j-1)...(E_1) * det(B).
    Then A and B can be expressed as a product of elementary matrices.

Edit:Since C=AB, then det(C)=det(AB). Hope that helps.
    Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. May 30, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe I'm reading the intent incorrectly, but I think the problem specifically wants him to prove it using indicial notation.
  5. May 31, 2008 #4
    Oh sorry.

Let C=AB. By indicial notation, C_ij=A_ik B_kj

Since A is 3x3 matrix, then det(A)= A_11(A_22...) - A_12(A21..) + A_13(A_21...) by method of solving for determinants where n>2
    Then det(A)= epsilon_ijk A_i1 A_j2 A_k3 = epsilon_ijk A_1i A_2j A_3k
    Therefore, epsilon_rst det(A) = epsilon_ijk A_ir A_js A_kt

We know that det(C)=det(AB)=epsilon_ijk C_i1 C_j2 C_k3
    =...= epsilon_rst B_r1 B_s2 B_t3 det(A)
  6. May 31, 2008 #5
    I can't believe i didn't see it! Thanks guys!:smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?