Calculating Inertia Tensor and Principal Moments for a Half Disk

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inertia tensor and principal moments of inertia for a half disk with a given radius and mass. The person is struggling with finding the product of inertia, particularly in the xz direction, and is questioning whether it is zero. They mention that the products of inertia contain information about the object's symmetry and that using a cylindrical coordinate system may make the problem easier. They also mention the use of the parallel axis theorem in transferring moments and products of inertia to the center of mass.
pandarean

Homework Statement

Half disk, radius R, mass m. I need the inertia tensor about the center of mass and then find the Principal moments of inertia about another coordinate system. Struggling with the product of inertia.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202014-11-24%2001%3A39%3A45.png?_subject_uid=1095356&w=AACECjyEV4pBdqLhSXXGSMtL5WXwAK8nETA8TGnww5IDfQ

Homework Equations

Concept question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have the mass products of inertia and the xy product of inertia (all about the center of mass) but my big problem is the product of inertia xz ¿How do I find it? ¿Is it zero?
Products of inertia hold information about the symmetry of the object, a bunch of zeros doesn't seem to be a good answer for this.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We need a figure to be sure of your coordinate directions.

Most of your problems will be most easily considered in a cylindrical coordinate system, centered at the center of the half disk. Moments and products of inertia can then be transferred to the CM by the parallel axis theorem (in 3 D).

1. What is a tensor of inertia?

A tensor of inertia is a mathematical representation of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. It describes the distribution of mass within the object and how that affects its rotational motion.

2. How is a tensor of inertia calculated for a half disk?

The tensor of inertia for a half disk can be calculated using the formula I = (1/4)MR², where I is the tensor of inertia, M is the mass of the half disk, and R is the radius of the half disk.

3. What is the significance of the tensor of inertia for a half disk?

The tensor of inertia for a half disk is important in determining the rotational motion of the object. It can be used to calculate the angular acceleration and angular momentum of the half disk.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the tensor of inertia for a half disk?

The distribution of mass within the half disk greatly affects its tensor of inertia. Objects with more mass located further from the axis of rotation will have a larger tensor of inertia, making them more difficult to rotate.

5. Can the tensor of inertia change for a half disk?

Yes, the tensor of inertia can change for a half disk if the mass or distribution of mass within the object changes. It can also be affected by external forces acting on the half disk, such as friction or torque.