1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor of inertia, half disk

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Half disk, radius R, mass m. I need the inertia tensor about the center of mass and then find the Principal moments of inertia about another coordinate system. Struggling with the product of inertia.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Captura%20de%20pantalla%20de%202014-11-24%2001%3A39%3A45.png?_subject_uid=1095356&w=AACECjyEV4pBdqLhSXXGSMtL5WXwAK8nETA8TGnww5IDfQ

2. Relevant equations
    Concept question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I already have the mass products of inertia and the xy product of inertia (all about the center of mass) but my big problem is the product of inertia xz ¿How do I find it? ¿Is it zero?
    Products of inertia hold information about the symmetry of the object, a bunch of zeros doesn't seem to be a good answer for this.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

OldEngr63

Gold Member

We need a figure to be sure of your coordinate directions.

Most of your problems will be most easily considered in a cylindrical coordinate system, centered at the center of the half disk. Moments and products of inertia can then be transferred to the CM by the parallel axis theorem (in 3 D).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted