Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor Product Construction

1. Dec 18, 2008 #1
    Hello,

So I'm trying to understand the construction of the tensor product of 2 vector spaces as stated in the wikipedia article. Now, in the article it states that the tensor product of two vector spaces V and W is the quotient space F( VxW )/R (F( VxW ) being the free vector space over VxW). I'm slightly confused about the definition of R, which is defined as the space generated by the 3 following equivalence relations: (v+u,w) ~ (v,w)+(u,w), (v,u+w) ~ (v,u)+(v,w), and k*(v,w) ~ (k*v,w) ~ (v,k*w). Could anybody elaborate on this? How does one generate a space from equivalence relations?

-Adam

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

you subtract the things you want to be equivalent and set those differences equal to zero. then take the space those differences generate.

if you go to my website and open up the class notes for 845-3, on page 23-28 you will find a complete discussion, and a precisely correct one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?