Solve Tensor Product: Expand Out Elements of Form (x_i \otimes 1)(1 \otimes x_j)

In summary, the conversation discusses expanding elements in the form of (x_i \otimes 1)(1 \otimes x_j) using the property of the tensor product. The solution is given as (x_i \otimes 1)(1 \otimes x_j) = ((x_i)(1) \otimes (1)(x_j)) = x_i \otimes x_j, which follows from the definition of multiplication in the tensor product as (a\otimes b)(c\otimes d)=ac\otimes bd. The purpose and definition of the tensor product in this context is also questioned.
Adorno

Homework Statement

I don't need help with the main problem, just a calculation: I need to expand out elements of the form [itex](x_i \otimes 1)(1 \otimes x_j)[/itex], etc.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Is there a property of the tensor product that I can use to expand out products like the ones above? I have a feeling that I can write [itex](x_i \otimes 1)(1 \otimes x_j) = ((x_i)(1) \otimes (1)(x_j)) = x_i \otimes x_j[/itex], but I'm not 100% sure.\

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct. It follows because multiplication in the tensor product is defined as

[tex](a\otimes b)(c\otimes d)=ac\otimes bd[/tex]

micromass said:
Yes, that is correct. It follows because multiplication in the tensor product is defined as

[tex](a\otimes b)(c\otimes d)=ac\otimes bd[/tex]

I know this is an old thread, but why tensor product is defined like that? And what do you mean by tensor product in this case?

1. What is a tensor product?

A tensor product is a mathematical operation that combines two or more mathematical objects to create a new object. It is commonly used in linear algebra to represent multilinear functions and to perform calculations involving vectors and matrices.

2. How do you solve a tensor product?

To solve a tensor product, you need to follow these steps:

• Write out the elements of the form (xi ⊗ 1)(1 ⊗ xj).
  • Distribute the elements and combine terms to get the expanded form.
  • Apply the rules of tensor products, such as the distributive property and the Kronecker product rule.
  • Simplify the resulting expression as much as possible.

3. What is the purpose of expanding out elements of a tensor product?

The purpose of expanding out elements of a tensor product is to simplify and evaluate the expression. This allows us to better understand and manipulate the objects involved in the tensor product and to perform calculations using them.

4. Why is the tensor product important in science?

The tensor product is important in science because it is a powerful tool for representing and manipulating multilinear functions, which are used to model and understand complex systems. It is also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science for its ability to describe and analyze multidimensional data and relationships between variables.

5. Can the tensor product be applied to non-mathematical concepts?

Yes, the tensor product can be applied to non-mathematical concepts such as vectors in physics or relationships between variables in social sciences. It can also be used to represent and analyze data in fields like machine learning and natural language processing.