1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor representation of boundaries in elastic solid for generation of surface waves

1. Feb 13, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, as part of my final year project im investigating how rayleigh surface waves are generated by transverse body waves. Ive seen how Kolsky derives these waves by slving the wave equation for this type of waveform. My supervisor wants me to describe the energy transfer between the body wave and the surface wave by a tensor - vector relation.

2. Relevant equations
    I think it should go something like this, : [boundary tensor]*[body wave vector] = [rayleigh wave vector]
    What i need to know is what the the vectors and tensors actually represent and what should their elements be? How can I interpret this physically?

any help would be greatly appreciated, Ive have searched everywhere for help with this but to no avail.
    thanks James

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?