1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensor test

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Problem as stated: Consider a vector [itex]A^a[/itex]. Is the four-component object [itex]\left( \frac{1}{A^0},\frac{1}{A^1},\frac{1}{A^2},\frac{1}{A^3}\right)[/itex] a tensor?

2. Relevant equations
    Roman indices run from 0 to 3. Einstein summation convention is used.
    Tensors of rank 1 (vectors) transform as
    Contravariant vectors: [itex] A^a = \frac{\partial x^a}{\partial x ' ^b}A'^b [/itex]
    Covariant vectors: [itex] A_a = \frac{\partial x'^b}{\partial x^a}A'_b [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I use the above mentioned transformation rules for each of the individual components getting:
    [itex]\left( \frac{1}{A^0},\frac{1}{A^1},\frac{1}{A^2},\frac{1}{A^3}\right) = \left(\frac{1}{\frac{\partial x^0}{\partial x'^b}A'^b},\frac{1}{\frac{\partial x^1}{\partial x'^b}A'^b},\frac{1}{\frac{\partial x^2}{\partial x'^b}A'^b},\frac{1}{\frac{\partial x^3}{\partial x'^b}A'^b}\right)[/itex]

What I wanted was to transform the object to another frame and either arriving at a transformed object according to the above mentioned rules (confirming it is a tensor) or being unable to fit it into one of the rules above (disproving the object to be a tensor).

I am currently stuck with how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Presumably all of those Aa are non-zero, and hence 1/Aa is bounded.

Hint: Certainly you can find a transformation that sets one of the coefficients of A' to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted