Proving T_{ijk} is a Third Rank Tensor and its Transformation Properties

In summary, we can conclude that T_{ijk} is a third rank tensor because for every second rank tensor R_{ij}, the quantity v_i=T_{ijk}R_{jk} is always a vector. Furthermore, T_{ijk}+T_{ikj} has the same transformation properties as T_{ijk} and is also a third rank tensor.
latentcorpse
[itex]T_{ijk}[/itex] is an array with 27 components which is not known to represent a tensor. If for every second rank tensor, [itex]R_{ij}[/itex], the quantity [itex]v_i=T_{ijk}R_{jk}[/itex] is always a vector, show that [itex]T_{ijk}[/itex] is a third rank tensor.

I've managed the bit above. Just stuck on the next part:

If [itex]R_{ij}[/itex] is any symmetric tensor and [itex]v_i[/itex] is again always a vector, what can be said about the transformation properties of [itex]T_{ijk}[/itex] and [itex]T_{ijk}+T_{ikj}[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org

Since v_i=T_{ijk}R_{jk} is always a vector, we can say that T_{ijk}R_{jk} is also a vector for any symmetric tensor R_{ij}. This means that T_{ijk} must transform like a third rank tensor, since it is able to produce a vector when contracted with a second rank symmetric tensor.

Now, considering T_{ijk}+T_{ikj}, we can see that the indices i and j are interchangeable due to the symmetry of the tensor R_{ij}. This means that the resulting vector v_i=T_{ijk}R_{jk} will be the same regardless of whether we use T_{ijk} or T_{ikj}. Therefore, we can say that T_{ijk}+T_{ikj} has the same transformation properties as T_{ijk}, and both are third rank tensors.

1. What is a third rank tensor?

A third rank tensor is a mathematical object that describes a physical quantity that has three indices. In other words, it is a multidimensional array with three dimensions. It is often used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities that have both magnitude and direction.

2. How is T_{ijk} defined?

T_{ijk} is defined as a third rank tensor with three indices: i, j, and k. Each index can take on any value from 1 to n, where n is the number of dimensions of the tensor. This means that T_{ijk} represents a multidimensional array with n x n x n elements.

3. What are the transformation properties of T_{ijk}?

The transformation properties of T_{ijk} depend on the type of tensor it is. In general, a third rank tensor can have different transformation properties for each index. These properties determine how the tensor changes when the coordinate system is rotated or transformed.

4. How is T_{ijk} transformed?

T_{ijk} can be transformed using a transformation matrix. This matrix represents the change in coordinate system and is multiplied by the tensor to obtain the transformed tensor. The transformation properties of T_{ijk} will determine how the values of the tensor change after the transformation.

5. How can T_{ijk} be proven to be a third rank tensor?

To prove that T_{ijk} is a third rank tensor, we need to show that it satisfies the fundamental properties of a tensor, which include linearity, covariance, and transformation properties. This can be done by performing mathematical operations on the tensor and showing that it behaves like a third rank tensor under transformations and coordinate changes.