Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tensors in GR

1. Jan 13, 2015 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hi all, I'm fairly new to GR, and I'm also somewhat new to tensors as well. I'm looking for some detailed explaination of a tensor, as I want to begin studying GR mathematically. I watched a video that was posted on PF not too long ago that was pretty good. I'm having trouble remembering who it was, but basically it took a cube and assigned 3-space vectors to each side, and each side was represented by a vector. I can see that as an explaination, but that doesn't let me start doing math with tensors. A link that starts with something like vector calculus and goes through tensor manipulation (algebra/calculus) (I'm assuming it's different than matrix algebra/calculus) would be ideal. Explanations are great as well. If a book is HIGHLY recommended I will go buy it, but I prefer to not work through books, it's hard to keep motivation for self study with a book for some reason.

I would say I have a reasonable conceptual understanding of tensors, but am looking into reworking through specific solutions of GR. In order to do so, I need a better understanding of tensors.

Any suggestions?
    BYH

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2015 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You might give this a try: http://preposterousuniverse.com/grnotes/grtinypdf.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Jan 13, 2015 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook