Tensors Questions: Seeking Guidance

• Thread starter peripatein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the conversation discusses two problems related to tensor calculus. The first problem involves finding the second covariant coordinate in cylindrical coordinates for the tensor Ai = (x+y, y-x, z)i in cartesian coordinates. The second problem asks for the value of A21 given the tensor Aij = (-1 0, -1 1)ij and the metric gij = (2 3, 3 4)ij. The conversation includes attempts at solving both problems and a discussion about how to proceed with finding A21.
peripatein
Hi,

Homework Statement

I recently started delving into tensor calculus and am quite the stuck with the following:
Given the tensor Ai = (x+y, y-x, z)i in cartesian coordinates, what would be the second covariant coordinate in cylindrical coordinates?
AND
Given the tensor Aij = (-1 0, -1 1)ij and the metric gij = (2 3, 3 4)ij, what would be A21?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, aren't I actually expected to find y-x in cylindrical coordinates, which is rsinθ - rcosθ? I have found the metric to be (1 0 0, 0 r2 0, 0 0 1), but I am really not sure how to put all the pieces together and how to proceed.
Next, for finding A21 won't I actually need to multiply the given matrix by the metric and its inverse, thus yielding a similar matrix as the original?
I could use some guidance, please.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have managed to answer the first part. Now I am mainly stymied by the second, viz. how to find A21. Could anyone please help?

peripatein said:
I have managed to answer the first part. Now I am mainly stymied by the second, viz. how to find A21. Could anyone please help?

Contract twice?: $$ g^l_i g^j_k A^k_l = A^i_j$$ not entirely sure I understand the problem you've posed.

Which is what I think you said, you'll have ## g_{il} g^{jk} ## i.e. the metric and its inverse times the (1,1) tensor. I think I'd write out the summation instead of matrix multiplication, though, because ##g_{il}g^{jk} = \left(\begin{array}{ccc}1&0&0\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{array}\right) ## seems almost too easy and it's 4 in the morning and I'm ready for sleep, not more math.

Last edited:
What I first got, albeit did not write it here, was g1jg2jAjAj. Does that agree with what you wrote as the solution?

peripatein said:
What I first got, albeit did not write it here, was g1jg2jAjAj. Does that agree with what you wrote as the solution?
I don't think so, but I'm inclined to say no because you need the metric acting on the (1,1) tensor twice. Your notation alone reverts it to two (0,1) tensors with only one summation. I need sleep but I'm off tomorrow, so I'll give it some thought if you haven't figured it out all the way, I can write write it out..

cheers

1. What are tensors and how are they used in science?

Tensors are mathematical objects that describe the relationship between different physical quantities. They are used in science to represent physical properties, such as force, velocity, and stress, that vary in different directions and can be described by multiple values.

2. What is the difference between a tensor and a vector?

Tensors and vectors are both mathematical objects used to represent physical quantities. However, while tensors have multiple components that describe variation in different directions, vectors have only magnitude and direction.

3. How are tensors used in physics?

Tensors are used in physics to describe the relationship between different physical quantities, such as force and displacement, in multiple dimensions and directions. They are also used in the study of general relativity and electromagnetic fields.

4. Are there different types of tensors?

Yes, there are different types of tensors, including scalars, vectors, and higher-order tensors. Scalars have a single value and no direction, while vectors have magnitude and direction. Higher-order tensors have multiple components and describe variation in multiple directions.

5. How can I learn more about tensors and their applications?

There are many resources available to learn more about tensors, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of linear algebra, as tensors are often represented using matrices. Additionally, seeking guidance from a knowledgeable mentor or tutor can also be beneficial.