Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Tensors - Winitzki - Lemma 3

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1
    I am reading Segei Winitzki's book: Linear Algebra via Exterior Products ...

I am currently focused on Section 1.7.3 Dimension of a Tensor Product is the Product of the Dimensions ... ...

I need help in order to get a clear understanding of an aspect of the proof of Lemma 3 in Section 1.7.3 ...

The relevant part of Winitzki's text reads as follows:

?temp_hash=9370430caeb830ed3fa7ba46922fa5c7.png

In the above quotation from Winitzki we read the following:

" ... ... By the result of Exercise 1 in Sec. 6.3 there exists a covector [itex]f^* \in V^*[/itex] such that

[itex]f^* ( v_j ) = \delta_{ j_1 j }[/itex] for [itex]j = 1, \ ... \ ... \ , \ n[/itex] ... ... "

I cannot see how to show that there exists a covector [itex]f^* \in V^*[/itex] such that

[itex]f^* ( v_j ) = \delta_{ j_1 j }[/itex] for [itex]j = 1, \ ... \ ... \ , \ n[/itex] ... ...

Can someone help me to show this from first principles ... ?

It may be irrelevant to my problem ... but I cannot see the relevance of Exercise 1 in Section 6 which reads as follows:

Exercise 1 refers to Example 2 which reads as follows:

BUT ... since I wish to show the result:

... ... ... "there exists a covector [itex]f^* \in V^*[/itex] such that

[itex]f^* ( v_j ) = \delta_{ j_1 j }[/itex] for [itex]j = 1, \ ... \ ... \ , \ n[/itex] ... ..."

... from first principles the above example is irrelevant ... BUT then ... I cannot see its relevance anyway!!!

Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

===========================================================

*** NOTE ***

To help readers understand Winitzki's approach and notation for tensors I am providing Winitzki's introduction to Section 1.7 ... ... as follows ... ... :

?temp_hash=e67c8c3ac372f69967191c4fbbbc85c6.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2016 #2

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Read what lavinia explained here:

4. Mar 9, 2016 #3

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Firstly, the author's use of notation is unhelpful, because they are using ##f^*## for two very different maps, one from ##V## to ##\mathbb{R}## and one from ##V\otimes W## to ##\mathbb{R}##. They should use different symbols for the two different maps.

Let's assume ##f^*## refers only to the first map. We show there exists such a map (which is a covector) simply by defining its operation on a set of basis vectors, and then extending it to cover the whole of the domain ##V## using the linearity rules. To be very clear, let's use a different symbol. Given a basis ##B\equiv \{v_1,...,v_n\}## for ##V##, we first define a function ##g^{j_1}:B\to\mathbb{R}## by

$$g^{j_1}(v_k)=\delta_k^{j_1}$$

for ##k\in\{1,...,n\}##.

Then we define ##f^*## to be the linear function from ##V## to ##\mathbb{R}## that agrees with ##g^{j_1}## on ##B##. It is a basic result of linear algebra (no tensors required) that such a function exists and is unique. If you are not comfortable just accepting that fact, a proof should be easy to find in any decent linear algebra text, or it's easy to prove from scratch. The existence follows from the fact that ##\{v_1,...,v_n\}## spans ##V##. To prove uniqueness, assume there are two such extension functions. Then their difference is also a linear function from ##V## to ##\mathbb{R}## and, by looking at its operation on the basis vectors, it's easily seen to be identically zero.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  5. Mar 9, 2016 #4
    Thanks Samy and Andrew ... appreciate the help ...

Still working through the Lemma ... but I must say Andrew, your point on the notation really changed things for me ... I now have a pretty good understanding regarding what is going on in the proof of Lemma 3 ...

Thanks again,

Peter

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted