Tensors for Relativity: A Guide Without Tears

• Thread starter malawi_glenn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensors
In summary, the conversation discusses the usefulness of a paper on tensors for understanding relativity. The paper is unaccredited and the question of proper citation is raised, with a suggestion to cite Tullio Levi-Civita.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Tensors for relativity:

http://www.teorfys.uu.se/people/minahan/Courses/SR/tensors.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is great, thanks!

Excellently timed, as I finish learning - and writing a VERY brief introduction to - tensors and general relativity. Thank you very much.

V

EDIT: The paper is unaccredited, if I were to use it in my work, who/what should I cite?

Last edited:
Varnick said:
Excellently timed, as I finish learning - and writing a VERY brief introduction to - tensors and general relativity. Thank you very much.

V

EDIT: The paper is unaccredited, if I were to use it in my work, who/what should I cite?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullio_Levi-Civita"
:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of "Tensors for Relativity: A Guide Without Tears"?

The purpose of "Tensors for Relativity: A Guide Without Tears" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible guide to the use of tensors in the study of relativity. It aims to demystify the concept of tensors and make them more approachable for those studying relativity.

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

The target audience for this guide is anyone studying relativity, including students and researchers in physics and related fields. It is also suitable for those with a strong mathematical background who are looking to deepen their understanding of tensors and their application in relativity.

3. What makes this guide different from other books on tensors and relativity?

This guide stands out from other books on tensors and relativity due to its focus on clarity and simplicity. It avoids unnecessary jargon and complex mathematical notation, making it more accessible to a wider audience. It also provides intuitive explanations and real-world examples to aid in understanding.

4. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to understand this guide?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, this guide is designed to be accessible to those with varying levels of mathematical knowledge. It provides a solid foundation in the necessary mathematical concepts and builds upon them gradually, making it suitable for both beginners and those with a more advanced understanding of mathematics.

5. How can this guide benefit my understanding of tensors and relativity?

This guide can benefit your understanding of tensors and relativity by providing a clear and concise explanation of the concepts, as well as practical examples and exercises to reinforce learning. It also includes tips and tricks for applying tensors in relativity, making it a valuable resource for those studying the subject.