Finding Angle & Tension in a String Attached to a Moving Car

In summary, the car accelerates down a hill going from rest to 22.0 m/s in 9.00 seconds. During the acceleration, an object hangs by a string from the car's ceiling. The acceleration is such that the string remains perpendicular to the ceiling.
chocolatelover

Homework Statement

A car acclerates down a hill, going from rest to 22.0m/s in 9.00s. During the acceleration, an object (m=.400kg) hangs by a string from the car's ceiling. The acceleration is such that the string remains perpendicular to the ceiling

Find the angle and the tension in the string

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could I use these equations?

a=m2gsinθ-m1g/m1+m2

T=m1m2(sinθ+1)/m1+m2

Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Could someone please tell me if these are the correct equations?

Thank you very much

I don't know what you're doing, so check it out: You are given the car's change in speed down the incline over a given time. That is all you need to get its acceleration parallel to the incline. Then draw a free body diagram of the hanging object to solve for your unknowns. Hint: use the slope of the incline as your x axis. Are the object's acceleration and the car's acceleration the same?

Thank you very much

Okay, I know that the car's acceleration=2.444m/s^2 and during the acceleration the string remains perpendicular to the ceiling. When they are perpendicular that's like having i(j), which is 0, right? The free-body-diagram would be a slanted line with a box to represent the car and the string to represent the tention, right? Could you please show me how to find the tention and the angle? The angle shown under the incline would the same as the one with the string, right? I also know that the toy is .400 kg.

Thank you

chocolatelover said:
Thank you very much

Okay, I know that the car's acceleration=2.444m/s^2 and during the acceleration the string remains perpendicular to the ceiling. When they are perpendicular that's like having i(j), which is 0, right? The free-body-diagram would be a slanted line with a box to represent the car and the string to represent the tention, right? Could you please show me how to find the tention and the angle? The angle shown under the incline would the same as the one with the string, right? I also know that the toy is .400 kg.

Thank you
The angle that the string makes with the vertical (theta) is the same as the angle of the incline with respect to the horizontal. Draw a sketch of the object, not the car. There are 2 forces acting on it: its weight, mg, which acts verically down, and the string tension, T, which acts at the angle theta from the vertical. Now determine the net force acting parallel to the incline, and use Newton 2. There won't be any "T" component parallel to the incline, so using this one equation will give you theta. Then use Newton 1 in the direction perpendicular to the incline to solve for T.

Thank you very much

Regards

1. How do you calculate the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car?

To calculate the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car, you need to use trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. First, you will need to measure the length of the string, the speed of the car, and the acceleration of the car. Then, you can use the equations for centripetal force and tension to determine the angle and tension in the string.

2. What factors affect the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car?

The angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car are affected by several factors such as the speed of the car, the acceleration of the car, the mass of the car, and the length of the string. Additionally, the angle of the string will change depending on the direction the car is turning.

3. How does the angle of the string change as the car turns?

The angle of the string will change as the car turns because the direction of the centripetal force acting on the car will change. This change in direction will cause the string to shift and create a new angle. The angle will be larger when the car is turning at a sharper angle and will be smaller when the car is turning at a wider angle.

4. Can the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car be measured experimentally?

Yes, the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car can be measured experimentally. You will need to set up an experiment with a car, a string, and a force sensor. By measuring the force exerted on the string and the angle of the string, you can calculate the tension and angle using the equations mentioned in the first question.

5. How can the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car be used in real-life applications?

The calculation of the angle and tension in a string attached to a moving car can be used in various real-life applications. For example, it can be used in the design of roller coasters to ensure the safety and stability of the cars. It can also be used in the development of suspension systems for vehicles to determine the appropriate tension in the strings used. Additionally, it can be applied in sports such as rock climbing to determine the tension and angle of the rope for safe and efficient climbing.