Terence Tao: An Inspiring Story

• Thread starter Ratzinger
  • Start date
In summary: Terence Tao.In summary, the conversation discussed an article about mathematician Terence Tao, who is known for his work in problem solving and has achieved many accomplishments at a young age. The article mentioned Tao's view on building knowledge like a pyramid, with a strong base leading to a stable top. Some participants in the conversation also shared their own experiences with learning and problem solving in math. One member recommended Tao's book "Solving Mathematical Problems: A Personal Perspective."
Mathematics news on Phys.org
thnx for the link, i currently reading his book on problem solving and loving it :P

interesting to read that article

I walk by his office every day. Haven't ever seen him, though.

Very very interesting article. I particularly enjoyed this:

“I had a pyramid model of knowledge, that is, a very broad base and then the pyramid can go higher. If you just very quickly move up like a column, then you’re more likely to wobble at the top and then collapse.”

That is a very true analogy!

Whatever my shape is, it is not easily described in elementary equations :P I have very strong bases in some areas of math, and just average in others, not to mention my shape isn't very tall yet. Some sort of sqiggle i have...

Gib Z said:
Very very interesting article. I particularly enjoyed this:

“I had a pyramid model of knowledge, that is, a very broad base and then the pyramid can go higher. If you just very quickly move up like a column, then you’re more likely to wobble at the top and then collapse.”

That is a very true analogy!
Very true indeed.
A good principle of "how to work ".
Tell that to Tom1992.Maybe he will learn something.

Haha lol yes it amazes me how much he knows. To find things like multivariable calculus and linear algebra easy, and learning topology, at the age of 14...that is amazing. But he did say he was learning trig when he was 11, so it makes me think he must have rushed somethings to get through that much...In Australia from trig to topology, working hard, is 8 years, not 3.

Not to mention, he seems to be able to recall factual knowledge etc etc, but can't make relevant deductions from them. I used to have that problem as well, and it comes from reading and reading tonnes, but not bothering to do the exercises assuming they will come naturally from your reading knowledge! Sure you get through the book faster, but you don'lt learn much.

smart people... what can I say...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_tao

youngest guy ever in international mathematical Olympiad. I doubt if I can even do one of the easiest problem in Olympiad right now...

Last edited:
Some of the problems in the Olympiad are relativly easy, as in, I can barely do the easiest ones :D

Trail_Builder said:
thnx for the link, i currently reading his book on problem solving and loving it :P

interesting to read that article

What is the name of this book?

eprjenkins said:
What is the name of this book?

solving mathematical problems: a personal perspective

1. Who is Terence Tao?

Terence Tao is an Australian-American mathematician who is known for his contributions to number theory, combinatorics, harmonic analysis, and other areas of mathematics. He is a professor at the University of California, Los Angeles and has received numerous prestigious awards for his work.

2. What makes Terence Tao's story inspiring?

Terence Tao's story is inspiring because he showed exceptional mathematical talent from a young age and has achieved numerous accomplishments in his field, despite facing challenges such as being labeled as a "math prodigy" and dealing with the pressure to constantly achieve at a high level.

3. What are some of Terence Tao's notable achievements?

Some of Terence Tao's notable achievements include becoming the youngest person to receive a gold medal at the International Mathematical Olympiad at the age of 13, solving the Green-Tao theorem with Ben Green, and being awarded the Fields Medal in 2006, which is considered the highest honor in mathematics.

4. How has Terence Tao influenced the field of mathematics?

Terence Tao has made significant contributions to several areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and harmonic analysis. His work has helped advance our understanding of these fields and has inspired other mathematicians to pursue new research directions.

5. What can we learn from Terence Tao's story?

Terence Tao's story teaches us that hard work, dedication, and perseverance can lead to great success. It also reminds us to not let labels or expectations limit our potential and to continue pushing ourselves to learn and achieve more.