Terence tao's list of mathematical embarrassments

In summary: They are not easy to understand at all.In summary, mathematical embarrassments (MEs) are problems that have not been solved yet, despite seeming approachable and easy to state. Examples of MEs include the invariant subspace problem, Goldbach's conjecture, perfect numbers, Fermat's Last Theorem, and the Four-Color Problem. While progress has been made on some of these problems, they still remain unsolved due to their complexity.
fourier jr
http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/mathematical-embarrassments/:
A mathematical embarrassment (ME) is a problem that should have been solved by now. An ME usually is easy to state, seems approachable, and yet resists all attempts at an attack. There may be many reasons that they are yet to be solved, but they “feel” like they should have been solved already.

i didn't think the invariant subspace problem would be an embarrassment. i guess it's not all that hard for finite dimensions. only one person mentioned goldbach's conjecture, & nobody said anything about perfect numbers. they seem pretty easy to understand but hard to say interesting things about. same with fermat's last theorem & the 4-colour problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have recently read that someone figured out how to write ##33## as a sum of three cubes and that now ##42## is the next number to target.

The cubes have been so absurd, that I wouldn't call it an embarrassment although it fits the definition above.
##(8,866,128,975,287,528)^3 + ( - 8,778,405,442,862,239)^3 + (-2,736,111,468,807,040)^3 = 33##

fourier jr said:
http://rjlipton.wordpress.com/2009/12/26/mathematical-embarrassments/:i didn't think the invariant subspace problem would be an embarrassment. i guess it's not all that hard for finite dimensions. only one person mentioned goldbach's conjecture, & nobody said anything about perfect numbers. they seem pretty easy to understand but hard to say interesting things about. same with fermat's last theorem & the 4-colour problem
As to perfect numbers, we know all the even ones, because every Mersenne prime has a corresponding perfect number, and such perfect numbers are all the even ones. However, we have been unable to find any odd perfect numbers, and we have been unable to prove that there are none.

As to Mersenne numbers ##M_p = 2^p-1## for primes ##p##, we don't know if a finite number or infinite number of them is prime or else is composite. Likewise, of the Fermat numbers ##F_n = 2^{2^n}+1##, the lowest five are prime, and all other ones that we have been able to test are composite. We don't know if there are any other Fermat primes, or else if the first five are all of them.

Terence Tao himself has found partial solutions to Goldbach's conjecture: Terence Tao releases partial solution to the Goldbach conjecture « Math Drudge, Goldbach conjecture | What's new

As to Fermat's Last Thorem and the Four-Color Hypothesis, the problem is that their proofs are *very* complicated.

1. What is Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments?

Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments is a compilation of mathematical concepts, theorems, and problems that are considered to be particularly challenging or counterintuitive. Tao, a renowned mathematician, created the list to highlight the areas of mathematics that still have open questions or unresolved issues.

2. How many items are on Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments?

As of 2021, there are 39 items on Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments. However, the list is constantly evolving as new mathematical discoveries are made and old problems are solved.

3. What is the purpose of Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments?

The purpose of Terence Tao's list is to stimulate interest and curiosity in mathematical research by showcasing the complex and intriguing aspects of mathematics. It also serves as a reference for mathematicians and students looking for challenging problems to work on.

4. Are the items on Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments all unsolved problems?

No, not all items on the list are unsolved problems. Some of them are well-known theorems or concepts that are considered to be particularly challenging or counterintuitive, while others are open questions that have yet to be solved.

5. Can anyone contribute to Terence Tao's list of mathematical embarrassments?

Yes, anyone can contribute to Terence Tao's list by submitting a suggestion through the contact form on his website. However, Tao personally reviews and approves all submissions before adding them to the list.