Solving Puzzling Questions: Total Spin S, L and J

• Thread starter oliver.smith8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spin
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a question related to spectroscopic notation for Helium. The first part of the question involves determining the levels ^{1}P_{1} and ^{1}D_{2} for 1s2p and 1s3d. The second part involves finding allowed optical transitions between these levels in the presence of an external magnetic field. It is suggested to use the Pauli exclusion principle and the J_z operator to find the split energy levels and the transitions between them.
oliver.smith8
I'm just going through a past paper for an exam I am revising for and I can't work out how to solve this question!

it's
" Total spin S, total orbital angular momentum L and total angular moment J are specified according to spectroscopic notation by the term symbol [tex]^{S+1}L_{J}[/tex]

i) For Helium show the the levels 1s2p and 1s3d include the terms [tex]^{1}P_{1}[/tex] and [tex]^{1}D_{2}[/tex]
ii) Determine allowed optical transitions between the [tex] ^{1}P_{1}[/tex] and [tex] ^{1}D_{2}[/tex] levels in the presences of an external magnetic field. How many transitions occur? How many spectral lines will be observed"

Ive got no idea where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
This site can help out for part (i): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Term_symbol

I will help you with the first part of (i). You know one electron will have S=1/2, L=0 and the other has S=1/2, L=1. So S_total can be 0 or 1 (singlet and triplet). And L_total = 1 (3 states). That gives you a total of 12 states. Pauli exclusion principle doesn't apply here since the electrons can never exist in the same state.

So you can have [itex]^{1}P_{1}[/itex] or [itex]^{3}P_{J}[/itex] (where J=0,1,2). If you add up all the states for each J, you get 12 states as before.

For part (ii), the magnetic field will interact with the J_z operator and the energies will split for different m_j. In the case of [itex]^{1}P_{1}[/itex], J=1 (a triplet), so you will see three split levels. Do the same for the other state. Then find all the transitions between them.

Similar to what can be seen here: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/sodzee.html#c2 (but this is a slightly more complicated example, but the picture is helpful)

1. What is total spin (S), orbital angular momentum (L), and total angular momentum (J)?

Total spin (S) is a quantum number that describes the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle or system. Orbital angular momentum (L) is a quantum number that describes the angular momentum of a particle or system due to its orbit around a central point. Total angular momentum (J) is the sum of S and L, representing the overall angular momentum of the particle or system.

2. How are S, L, and J related to each other?

S, L, and J are related through the vector addition of their magnitudes. For example, if S = 1 and L = 2, then J can have values of 3, 2, or 1. Additionally, J can never be greater than the sum of S and L, and can never be smaller than the difference between S and L.

3. What is the significance of solving for S, L, and J?

Solving for S, L, and J allows us to understand the quantum properties of a system and predict its behavior. These quantum numbers are used to determine the energy levels and allowed transitions of atoms and molecules, and are essential in understanding the structure and behavior of matter at a microscopic level.

4. How do you determine the values of S, L, and J for a system?

The values of S, L, and J can be determined using quantum mechanical calculations and experimental data. These calculations involve solving the Schrödinger equation for the system and taking into account the interactions between particles, such as electron-electron repulsion.

5. Can S, L, and J change over time?

Yes, S, L, and J can change over time due to external factors such as changes in the system's energy or interactions with other particles. However, the sum of S and L, which determines the value of J, remains constant unless an external torque is applied to the system.