Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Termal measurements in a closed chamber

1. Oct 28, 2011 #1
    Hi!
    I'm having problem with measuring the temperature in a closed (vacuum) chamber. I'm using thermocouples (type T) connected to the object inside the chamber, but both the copper wire and the konstantan wire are then connected to copper wires before exiting the chamber. Therefore I cannot set the zero-point reference by inserting the junctions into ice water. I cannot insert new wires into the chamber since it needs to be sealed, but I maybe can put more equipment in it which requires no additional wires to the outside of the chamber. Outside the chamber I am of course free to connect wires anywhere I want.
    Any ideas about how I can go about and measure the absolute temperature inside the chamber? I know I have seen a solution somewhere with maybe an additional termocouple, but I cannot recall how it would work.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted